Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got the 4.2 in, bolted on the tranny and got every thing ready, and then tried to start 'er up. No Dice, just grinding, I got a new starter and it did the same thing.

It looks like the starter may be mis aligned, it is leaning up against the oilpan, I don't remember it being that way originally. I'm going to try loosening it up and trying to get the gears to mesh by moving a small washer around and bolting it again, and again, to see if I can get it to work.

Right now, the starter seems to be the only thing keeping it from starting.

Guys with 4.2's, how much clearance do you have between your starters and your oilpans?

Thanks in advance...

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
4.2 w/(4.0 head & MPI)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison

·
Registered
317 Posts
take a good look where the drive of the starter goes through the inspection plate, There is usually a ridge around the starter housing to index it into the hole, if that ridge is hanging up, it'll really screw with the alignment of the thing. If I remember correctly, you should have about 1/2 " between the housing and the pan. Hope this helps.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, Bald, I just went looked at mine, it is no more than a 1/2 inch mabey less. I've had mine off and on a couple of times and it goes on smooth and fits right in place, no wobble, very snug fit.

'79 CJ-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I think the dust cover/inspection plate might have gotten bent somehow, probably got stepped on or someone set something on it. I'll see what I can do with it tonight.
Thanks again.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
4.2 w/(4.0 head & MPI)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison

1 - 4 of 4 Posts