Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a diffrnet train of thought here, I'm stuck!
I have a 78 CJ7 with a 304 and a T-18 1B tranny (granny 1st). Im restoring ground up, and I the Centerforce Im trying to install is just not working. The cluch will not fit over the shaft. The T-18 is a 10 spline shaft, but the clutch I ordered from centerforce, carefully selecting the correct year and engine, is just too small to make it over the shaft. I also ordered a pilot bushing from 4wd that fits my year 304. It also will not slide over the shaft. I know the sizes varied in the T-18's but should I order till I get the right one? I bought this from a guy who new nothing that his son had done to it. Which was definatly some rebuilding of the engine. The engine runs great and I'm not going to rebuild it again. Can anyone shed light on my lack of knowledge here?
Thanks
Matt~ JAX>FLA

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would tey to get an accurate measurement of the shaft at the splines and tip and call Centerforce with the info. They should be able to figure out what input you have and what clutch you need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
755 Posts
I agree with jdogg look at it this way the shaft is obviously a larger diameter than that of a stock shaft which you and your parts supplier are trying to fit these parts to. Larger diameter tends to mean stronger, tougher, a little closer to the promised land of unbreakable. So I would try and find the right pilot bushing and clutch before I would even think about replacing the better set up you got.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Yes, a phone call directly to Centerforce should get it solved.
They'll probably ask a few questions, so have the phone handy to the trans.

They are extremely helpful folks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I didnt think of the possiblity that the owner before me might have beefed the input shaft. Thanks, keep on wheeling

1 - 5 of 5 Posts