Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '87 Bronco and it has a problem with overheating...
After I have been driving it a while the temp gauge starts going up, my battery gauge starts going into the red, and when I'm idling my oil pressure drops all the way down...then when I start to go my oil pressure goes back to normal...
Then when I get home the water overflow resivoir (next to the windshield wiper fluid) is overflowing with extremely hot water...
What is up? We add water and it does it everytime! My dad says that the fan isn't stock and it doesn't have a clutch might be why it's doing it...(becsue the fan might not be big enough?) so it's not getting enough air to cool it...but then if that's the case what about the battery gauge? (the battery is almost new) and what about the oil pressure?
We've already replaced the thermostat so that can't be it...

Please help me!! I don't know much about cars or trucks...my Dad does but even he doesn't know...

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Boiling

It could still be the thermostat - I've bought bad new ones. How old are the radiator hoses? How old is the radiator cap? How old is the radiator coolant? How much antifreeze is in it? Does it look rusty or otherwise opaque? Have you ever backflushed or flow tested the radiator? Ever changed the water pump?

IMO, the most likely causes are (in order): cap, thermostat, radiator, water pump. (Coincidentally, that's also easiest to hardest!
)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: Boiling

Could be the radiator cap if the springs get weak it allows pressure to push up and vent over board and the pressure that is created by the hot water is held by the cap and increases the boiling point of the water (I think this is correct) So if the cap is old and weak it wont allow the pressure to build up and will overheat at a lower temp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts