Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few months I am doing some major work to my 95 YJ, and I need some advice on the suspension set up. I have done a lot of resaerch and I have heard conflicting stories on the Pro-Comp Coil Conversion. This was my first choice until I read some horror stories on another board. I have heard of the front axel being way off center, and it flexes like crap(www.jeepsunlimited.com). At the same time, I have read that this is a great kit, just a little pricey (JP magazine, and a write up on www.outdoorwire.com).
Has anyone had anyexperiences with this kit? Seen it in action, on a parking lot, anything?
My second choice is Sky Jackers Monolinear suspension (a single leaf suspension system), has anyone heard anything about this kit? I have seen very little on it.
Another concern for me is, Can the front suspensions support the weight of a small block 350? And how much work is it going to be to adapt the rear to fit a Ford 8.8 rearend? For the Pro-Comp kit I figure I will have to go to a machine shop and have the brakets modified, and the SkyJaker kit will probably need differnt U-bolts and such.
Any opinons are welcome, but I want something that Kicks a$$ off road, but gives a decent ride on road, it has to be my dail driver for at least another year and a half. I have budgeted about $1600 for just the suspension( I know I will need the tail shaft converson, but that is already acounted for) I know this is long, and thanks for reading.
Kirk
95 YJ rio grande

Kirk
95 YJ rio grande

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dont know too much about the lifts but I really dont trust a setup with just one leaf ....hence one broken leaf and youll be walking home....just my opinion

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get Nation Springs off the shelf 4" YJ springs and a set of revolvers. You'll get a great on road ride, and flex like crazy.
The revolvers are $500. The springs are $550, you'll still need: bushings- ubolts- shocks- brake lines- pitman arm-
and SYE or t-case drop
So the cost is comparable to either kit you're looking at.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
if you break your main leaf, you walk home anyway....i would love to try the new springs..the only concern i would have is sagging....

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The singly leaf bothers me b/c of breakage. The coil springs bother me b/c of the positioning of the axle, but I would rather go with them than the single leaf.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats wrong with spring over? probably the cheapest option from what I've heard, flex is awsome and its probably the least "extreme" and there are LOTS of people out there who have experiance with this set up

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah springover ain't that cheap....but I don't know the price of the mono leaf springs. I have HEARD only good things about pro-comp coil conversion. As far as the weight of the 350 goes, its about 150lbs lighter than a 258 so that won't be a problem. The 258 block is wicked heavy. I saw the mono springs in one of this months mags, but the pics weren't to great, they didn't show enough. Jury is still out on that one, I would go for it though.....or go SOA. I am going SOA, its proven and I like the challenge, I already had my first bolt on now its time to make things interesting

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.extreme-jeepin.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The price that I found for the monoleaves is $1096 and the coils are $1466.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's why man invented the 'military wrap'...second spring in the pack wraps around the main eye so that you can still drive home. Not all lifts come with the military wrap, but you can certainly find one if you shop around. I'd either go SOA or custom National Spring and let somebody else be the mono-leaf guinea pig.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About how much does a SOA conversion cost? Does it require welding? Could a begiiner level mechanic do it himself? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't comment on the procomp kit. Don't know of anyone running it.

Re: monlinear springs. I was initially interested in these myself, but interest is waning a little. Basically, knowledgable people I know say that any mono leaf design they've ever seen suffers from too much axle wrap, similar to what you'd get in a SOA setup. I talked to SkyJacker's designer, and he told me that they were still getting rub with 31 inch tires and 6 inches of lift - that the only way to stop the rubbing is with bump stops. At first this sounds like great flex, but then I thought geez how much axle wrap would you get with that? So basically now I'm waiting until I see a few Jeeps with it installed before I pony up the considerable cost - over a grand.

SOA setups, done properly, work very well. A friend of mine who is a fabricator just did one with cross over steering and everything, and it works extremely well - rides nice (like stock), flexes great, no bumpsteer (thanks to cross over steering), etc etc. Only caution is body roll around corners. Problem is doing it well can be quite troublesome and expensive if you don't have the tools and skills to do it yourself.

Currently I have procomp springs and revolvers, and am quite satisfied with my flex, but need 2 more inches of left to get those 35s under there.

Just my 2c.

Chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeepskate is right I bought my Warn springs for that very reason, with a 3" spring lift and 1" body and TJ flares on my CJ 35" are no problem with lots o flex. I am looking into a buggy leaf or revolver type set-up also.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would think that that monolinear spring setup would cause uncontrollable axle hop and springwrap....maybe I'm wrong...but think about it....

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.