Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Gents:

I recently did some performance mods to my 92 Banshee: Port job, 28mm PWK's, V-Force Delta Reeds, and a slightly shaved head. Man, my Banshee flies!

My questions are two-fold:

(1) When breaking the motor in, I ran a 20:1 premix (using Yamalube 2-R and riding at an elevation ~4,500 ft). Then, for the first 2 - 3 tanks afterward, I also mixed at a 20:1 ratio. However, I then changed the premix to a 32:1 ratio and my bike ran much differently. My Banshee seemed to lose power and didn't have the trottle response when running the 20:1 mixture. I checked the jetting and the plugs looked nearly identical under the 32:1 scenario as under the 20:1 scenario (clean plug, no signs of burn). Is there a logical explanation for this? I thought that leaning out the mixture a bit would provide me with higher performance. However, the results seem counter-intuitive. I thought that with more combustible mixture (less oil, more VP red), I would get more power and response. Can you please help me disspel the myth or at least bear some light on my change? (2) My bro. in law crunched my front A-arms. I would prefer to have him help me upgrade the A-arms to a better performance chassis (such as 2", 1" forward). Is there a good quality alternative to Laeger or Pro-design? They are awfully expensive!

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Greg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
THE OIL RATIO PROBLEM DOESN'T SOUND THEORETICALLY CORRECT TO ME,AND I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT. I HAVE VIRTUALLY THE SAME ENGINE WORK AS YOU ON MY BANSHEE AND I'VE ALWAYS RUN 32:1 MAXIMA 927 ( OR SUPER M IN THE WINTER).
THE A-ARMS ON THE OTHER HAND IS WHERE I THOUGHT I COULD SAVE YOU. I BOUGHT THE LAEGER AND I'M NOT VERY HAPPY. THEY ARE VERY DURABLE AND I WENT WITH THE +2/+1 LAYOUT. THE THING I DON'T LIKE IS THE FACT THAT THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ADJUSTMENT TO 'EM. CAMBER ADJ. CAN ONLY BE MADE FROM THE TOP A-ARM AND THAT'S IT. FOR THE MONEY THEY WANT, YOU CAN GET A BETTER PRODUCT. I RECOMMEND THE LONE-STAR OR THE ROLL DESIGN. I THINK THE LONE STAR ARMS ARE THE NICEST I'VE SEEN. I USUALLY GO BY THE "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" WAY OF JUDGING QUALITY OF PRODUCTS I WON'T SEE UNTIL I RECIEVE THEM BUT IN LAEGERS CASE . . .YOU ONLY GET THE NAME, NOT THE BEST PRODUCT. OH - BE THINKING ABOUT THE SHOCKS YOU WANT TO MATE WITH THE A-ARMS FOR YOUR DREAM SET-UP.

LUNAR SUPERFLY #969
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
BANSHEE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What main jets do you run @4500ft? Have you checked the air filter lately?

I have ported cylinders, .020" Wiseco pistons, milled head, clamp on KN filters(no air box) and some old style FMF pipes. @sea level, running 92 octane\32:1 Yamalube, i run 380 main jets and 32.5 pilot jets.

A cheaper alternative is Denton Racing. They sell 4130 chromoly arms 2 1, nickle plated with tie rods and bushings and ball joints for $499.95. I tried to order from them, but they said there was a 3 week wait, as they are made to order. I actually went to Alba Action Sports, and bought a set of Timmy Boy 4130 2 1 arms for a ridiculous price. Once you get em you will love them.

Good luck.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If what you're saying is that the 32:1 mix has less power, its fairly simple. You are running richer now because a higher percentage of your fuel mix is gas. A rich air/fuel mixture is detrimental to power because the evaporation of the gas cools the cylinder. Anyway, it's fairly well known that going from oil injection to premix requires a jetting change to richen the air/fuel mixture, making up for the gas displaced by the oil. I don't have any #'s, But a very recent post on converting a blaster to premix noted the required jetting change. It does you no good, of course, but illustrates my point. Bottom line, you are slightly richer now with the 32:1 fuel/oil mix.
Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I am running 140 main jets in my carbs right now. Do you have any suggestions for jetting? I assume that if I run a 32:1 mix, I need to compensate by leaning out the delivery to the carb. Therefore, I will have to go down on my jet sizes to compensate.

Any ideas? Thanks again for the help.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.