Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the parts to upgrade my 258 duraspark , but I've read a couple of posts that folks are having their modules overheat post upgrade. I think my coil is from a 84. Is it safe to use. I'm slapping it on today.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
It's safe.
If it hasn't failed from 84 to present, the flaw isn't going to show it's self, and besides, Ford had at least 21 versions of this coil from 82 to present, and only one of those was flawed (used on 302 V-8's). All are condensed in one part number now...

It wasn't overheating modules anyway...
In worst case situations, it supplied high voltage to the module coil switching circuit, and killed the switching drivers, and the module just failed to fire the coil anymore.
--Most of the time the coil just stopped working when the primary circuit opened.

Accounts really quickly for a bunch of the failures in the DuraSpark modules on the E.E.C. equipped vehicles, (attached to the distributor).
We use the First generation of the DuraSpark module (attached to the finder well), so the problem is moot here...

The problem never existed in aftermarket coils, and has been corrected in Ford coils from late 95 on.

The two overheating failures posted here, one was old, and the other was old and LEAKING!!! If that isn't enough warning to replace the module, I don't know what is!

I don't think we can blame the upgrade on the two module failures...
They may just have enough ignition now to find the flaws in their old modules...

REMEMBER, Ford has upgraded the type 1, DuraSpark Blue Grommet Module 4 times in the last few years of it's use, do the older, (75 to 83) modules still have flaws that haven't been corrected.
If you buy one, buy the premium module if you can afford it. That will insure you get all of the upgrades.
It's only $16 to $35 for cheap to premium modules, and if your old one hasn't failed yet, it can always be used for a 'limp home' unit...

Does this help clear up anything...?
Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Aaron,
I guess I'll stick that old coil on and see what happens.
Larry

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Check the primary resistance, It should be around 0.44 or 0.45 Ohm.
Check the secondary resistance, It soul be around 3000 to 3200 Ohms.

If you write these specs on the side of the coil, it's easy to test them if something goes wrong.
-------------------------------

So far, two people have run into bad coils, both from junk yards...
What were the chances...

Good luck, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.