Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the pass.side my power lock doesn't work Ihave power going to the accuator so I'm guessing thats it but I couldn't get the accuator out of the inside of the door looks like its riveted on but can't tell. Any help??

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
yep, mine were riveted. i drilled out the rivets when I changed mine...they're soft alumninum...no big deal. it's just the one rivet that you can see from the outside of the door, i THINK. might be something else inside, but i don't remember another fastener.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
The rivet holds a bracket on the door, and the lock motor has 2 pegs w/rubber grommets that fit into the bracket. It's possible to remove the grommets from the bracket, but not easy. However, I'd rather do that than reattach the bracket - so that's what I do when I work on mine. Liquid Wrench helps them slip out & back in more easily, but I don't have any.../wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing is ever easy for me I guess I'll rip and pull until it comes out.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the rod from the motor to the lock come off? I can't see in there real good, It looks like a "C" clamp but not sure.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Actually, I don't think they're made to separate. I got them out of the door together and then cut the rod since I was using a kit that had a little adapter that just used a set screw to attach to the old rod. Working in those door openings is a bitch.. small (but long) arms and fingers are definitely an asset.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were did you get that kit? I haven't priced the motors yet what do they run?

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
No, the ones I used were about 10 bucks each and I got them at Parts Express. This is a great place to get surplus electronics, especially speakers and speaker box building supplies. I've been buying stuff from them for 4 years. In the "Keyword Search" box enter actuator and the 3 or 4 motors they have will come up. Mine worked until the bolt that I used to hold the motors to the doors looseened up and then fell out :) You just have to get all the slack out because they don't have much extra travel. I don't really think they're the best bet for trucks but they did work for awhile...some day I'd like to fix mine, but I dont' use the locks anyway so i'm not in a hurry.

Muddybronco

G

·
I got my replacement from Parts Express, too. $5 vs. >75 at the dealer...I made it work. Just use threadlock on the screws. I never use the key because the alarm works the locks; it's been a year and it's going strong.

Spike

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: powerlock rod

The rod doesn't come out of the motor unless you REALLY want to disassemble it (I had to on the junkyard ones I got/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif). Just rotate the plastic clip at the top and pull the rod out of the door catch mechanism. Then the motor will come out with the disintegrated rubber boot still on the rod.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: powerlock rod

If It ever stops raining here in Pittsburgh I'll be able to fix it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Thanks for the pointers-BOB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.