Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just got a 76 cj-7 304 V-8 and wants to ad power steering.We cannot find any original parts that the owner doesn't think that they are made of gold.Is there a doner vehicle to look for that will be cheaper parts. Has any body done this ? Any advise will be appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Go to your local wrecking yard and find an AMC with a V8. Take the pump, brackets, hoses, bolts and all off the engine. Also take the
steering box and pitman arm. For the brackets to mount the box to the frame, try Specialty Parts. http://www.specialtyparts.com.
They carry just about every part for Jeeps from 41 to present. Many parts are not shown on thier website. You will have to call them.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find a full-size Wagoneer or Cherokee that somebody is parting out. I paid $75 for a pump, steering box, and pump brackets for my CJ. The only other parts you will need is a pitman arm for a power steering CJ which ran me $50 new (I think) and new power steering hoses (CJ hoses). The power steering box bolted to the existing manual box brackets on the frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snowtow, you have to be careful about the box to frame brackets. Most of the mechcanical steering boxes are 3 bolt and many of the
power boxes are 4 bolt. The brackets don't always work.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Gary. I just lucked out that the box that I got was a three-bolt box. Actually, I didn't luck out in that the four-bolt boxes are stronger (bummer). When I did my swap, I had never seen this BBS and didn't know any better! Haven't had any problems to date with it though and I don't baby my rig at all (and have the battle scars to prove it). My homemade brace probably has a lot to do with that.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Ive been wondering about, is the ratio and coupler the same size between a CJ steering bix, and one from a Grandwag , Cherokee, or Jtruck??

Im sure they will bolt in the right spot, but what aout the ratio?

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

·
Registered
630 Posts
I can remember PartsMike cautioning about the gear ratio. The CJ with its short wheelbase will be dangerous with the quicker gearbox from a car or truck. Off road it would probably be OK, but not on the street.

I bought a rebuilt box for $199.00 at AutoZone.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just finished this very swap on a 77 CJ5 with a 304. If you keep looking, you'll find the p/s brackets. I ended up finding them (with much help from Jeepskate) across the country from me. Any p/s pump brackets off of an AMC 304, 360 or 401 will work. As far as the boxes go, if you wanna be picky, look for one that has the number "76" cast into it. These have bigger bearings inside, and heavier casting outside. Installation is simple...they just bolt right into place. The shaft on the manual steering box has different splines than the shaft on a p/s box. The best solution to this is to get a new steering shaft (borgeson, etc.) The second best solution is to get a shaft with the p/s box. My p/s shaft was trashed at the steering wheel end, so I heated it to melt the nylon plugs that hold it together, pulled it apart, and put the lower end into the upper end of my manual steering shaft. Voila. As long as you're going to have everything apart, you might as well add a oil filter and maybe an oil cooler for the lines. Start looking at the for sale bbs, and post an add on the "wanted" section of this bbs. If you wanna drop me an e-mail, I'll send you the name of a couple guys who have the whole setup for sale.
Dean
"[email protected]"

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The input on the Grand Wagoneer uses a "rag" joint, the CJ box has a large splined joint. The Wagon has a 13-16 to 1 variable ratio box, the CJ has a 17.5 to 1 box. The '80 and earlier boxes and pumps have STD double flare hose fittings, '81 and up use metric o-ring type hose fittings. The fitting in the back of the pump can be changed to match the gearbox fittings so that stock replacement hoses can be used. I had a YJ 14-1 ratio box in a '61 CJ-5, yes it was fast, but not unsafe once gotten used to. (YJs have the same wheelbase as CJ-7s). I now have a ZJ 12.7 to 1 box in my CJ-8, which made it handle much better in parking lots and off-road. You do get more road feel also on the highway. The ZJ box is a bolt in for YJs, but it only has 3 mounting bolts instead of 4. CJs have a larger spline on the input so it requires a new shaft/coupler. I switched my column to one off a YJ along with the steering shaft. Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.