Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so all was going well with the new power steering pump untill the friggin pulley wouldn't go onto the new pump..it came with a bolt and a washer and square nut to do the install..we couldn't get the square bolt to turn after a while without using superman strength..Am I missing some other way to get this sucker on?

Sean

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You didn't state how you got the pulley off ??
It takes a special puller with a split collar you can rent or borrow with deposite at your local parts store but I can see how the tool provided can do the install. Getting it back on is usually much easier than taking it off!
I'd get the puller and take the pully back off. Then check the shaft and pulley bore for nicks and burrs. A little oil on the shaft and bore will make the install job easier, plus oil the threads on the installer bolt.
They may have provided a very cheap, soft bolt so a balky install could mash its threads quickly. A rented tool's hardened bolt will probably make the job easier.
Tip: Make sure you don't bottom out the base of the pully onto the pump. Spin it, and if it drags, use the puller to move the pulley back up the shaft untill you get a good free spin.
Good luck.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

1 - 3 of 3 Posts