Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a power steering return line for my '76 CJ5. I have tried all of the local parts stores, but all they can sell me is the rubber hose. I also need the metal fitting at the end. A previous owner severely crimped the metal tube and now the whole thing leaks. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me any ideas on how to fix it, I would surely appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the return line all you need is transmission hose. If its the fitting that goes into the steering box and its the flair type just buy
a piece of brake line and use that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar problem finding the correct hoses for my '84 CJ7 - I finally called 4wd Hardware I think and got those replacements. I think Parts America had one that was close - the Auto stores will try to sell you ones that are "similar" but none of the ones I looked at were bent correctly and it is a tight fit under the radiator believe me! I had to drill out the old fitting from my box as it was impossibly tight, and be sure to use a flare end wrench when you tighten/loosen the aluminum nuts on those power steering lines as they are soft and the flare wrench will provide extra support (17 or 19mm I think) - If you're in a pinch, I've seen plenty of guys use regular clamps and hose to make power steering work but I wouldn't trust it long.
Goodluck,
Sully

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.