Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question,
A friend of mine gave me an older Superwinch, and the power leads (to the battery) needs to be replaced and I was just wondering if anybody would think that 11/3 copper house wire would be sufficient? It's good for 600 volts of 220 to travel through, and it's 4 wires wrapped up in one bundle.
Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.

82' CJ7, 258 CID (MC2100 & HEI upgrades), T5, D300, Flowmaster, and 33x12.50x15's on the ground.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I can't say it wouldn't work, but I would say no.
I thought fine stranded wire is whats called for in this case.
But I'm totally guessing. I'm no electriction whatsoever.

But to the top for ya.
Someone on here has got to know.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I'm lost here. First, I'm lost on your wire size. 11/3 would indicate to me that t was 11ga wire, 3 conductor and may have a ground too. I have never run across an odd wire size other than for motor winding and such. For house wiring it is usually 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, etc.

Secondly we need to know the amp draw for the winch. There are small winches that don't draw much and large winches that draw quite a bit. Do you have a model number or even a load rating to give us an idea what size winch we are talking about?

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
In a pinch yes, but only for a moment.

It's not made for carrying the amperage - you'll smoke it.
And, since that wire is solid, not stranded, it'll break too easy.

Decent parts houses carry bulk welding cable and ends, like battery cables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.