Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my power brake booster, or so I'm told, but anyway- what types of boosters will fit my 258 85 cj? I'm looking to find one used, so if I can use something other than Jeep, I'll have a better time finding one. thanks

Sean

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Most GM boosters will work. For more braking power get a dual diaphragm(sp?) unit. There was an article in 4wd and sport ute magazine that used a unit from an '85 cadillac deville. It required minor modification to the actuator rod, but greatly increased braking power. Let me know, I can try to find the article.

Tom

1985 CJ7
4WheelDriveWeb

G

·
I have read the article, and talked to the owner of the shop that did the swap. Get a booster from any mid 80's GM vehicle. They are dual diaphragm, practicall a direct bolt in. Take carefull measurement of the actuator arm that depresses the plunger on the master cylinder for the stock Jeep booster, aka the metal rod that pokes out of the back of the booster. Measure it from the back of the booseter where it bolts up to the mounting bracket to the center of the bolt hole on the end. Then take the arm on the new booster and cut it to match the Jeep's length. Now take out the plunger and put a 1/16" weld on the tip. You done. That is all there is to it. That is the skinny on the article and the result of several minutes spent longdistance with the mechanic/shop owner who did the mod in the article. Shoule give you about twice the braking power. Let me know how it goes. Got any questions, e-mail me at home by looking at my profile.
Good Luck

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you help guys. I'm heading home from school in 2 weeks and this is first on my list to do. Only problem is that I don't weld, or know anyone who does. I'll have to figure something out.

thanks again

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.