Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: add a leaf ?

Depends a lot on what you run for an engine, if you have a winch, hard top, fiberglass body, if you tow anything, what kind of wheeling you do, how many passengers you have, and most importantly, what brand of spring you add. If your springs are sagging under load, an add-a-leaf might do the trick. It will cut down on articulation, most likely, but it will also add some extra clearance (under the jeep, not the axles). My jeep had full length add-a-leafs on it when I bought it...rides pretty rough, articulates ok. When I get a chance, I'm going to a new spring lift. As a short term measure, or if you need a stiffer ride, it would work. Long term, IMO, an investment in a good spring lift can't be touched.

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: add a leaf ?

The add-a-leafs I put on my YJ with a 3" body lift, which gave me a 3" susp. lift, still allow me to bury a rear tire in the fender wells with only a soft top, no rear seat, and a 4-banger. The front isn't so impressive because I need swaybar disconnects. However when I did the add-a-leaf I also installed semi-new springs and left the C shaped spring clamps open. If you use the old wore out springs you'll just flatten the add-a-leaf in a few months. In your case I'd suggest just going out and getting a 2-1/2" set of new leaf springs, Theyll give you better articulation and will last longer.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.