Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
G

·
Re: Beginer Engine Mistakes

Hey Aaron,

Are you talking about them ole Bar-B-Que Burmese ribs?

All in fun, bud, later.

If there's two scoops per box, how many flakes per raisin?

G

·

Sometimes it just takes a different or fresh point of view. But, it sounds like at least one of those guys should have known better!

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
7,409 Posts

Aaron correct me if I'm wrong but are there too many "ASE" master techs today?
They must give the patch out for halloween as candy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.
I'm so ashamed I don't even tell people any more(I don't wrench for a day job anymore) that I am , as they have already been hosed by plenty of them touting their "badge" before.
I hope more than just us jeepers read this , but don't take your vehicle to sombody just because he's certified(crap!) word of mouth is the best there is bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·

In my formative years, we used to keep the clerks at auto parts stores looking for non-existant parts when we were bored. The highlights were:

-Pistons for my RX7. The manager looked for some for me for about an hour, and was completely baffled as to why he couldn't find ANY.

-A Radiator for my VW bug.

-Once had three guys in the same store looking for piston return springs for a '79 Camaro. No joke. They ended up brushing me off when they couldn't find a listing by saying that they were a "specialty part" and they did not stock them. Suggested that I try the dealership parts department.

Marc
Contagious Off-Road

G

·

I've basically turned the local autozone shops into a self service parts store... I walk in, walk right up to the counter, grab the keyboard, turn the monitor alittle, find the part I need (which I can usually do before a person even comes over to bother me) 'Can _I_ help you sir?' (I can't stand their attitudes, if they didn't have the part I needed I'd just walk right out /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif) Yes'ir, I need that part I just highlighted for ya. now FETCH! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
oh well, the peons are swarming...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

{editing}

Almost forgot, the best one I get, everytime...

What make model year etc...?

'77, jeep, Cj-5, 304, etc, etc...

Is that four wheel drive?

<SMACK>

#1, the screen isn't even asking one way or the other,
#2, every idiot knows that SWB jeeps are 4x4... that's the point!

Oh well, make something fool proof, and they make a better fool.

G

·

I got a notice from a local Mazda dealer that said my 85 Rx-7 is due for its 100 month 100,000 service. This service included a timing chain. Hum... 100/12 = 8.33 and the timing chain is connected too... ahh, my brain hurts.

G

·

Ever try and get someone at a parts store to find a set of "spark plug bearings"? How about about asking where the turn-signal fluid was located? Is that in with motor oil or kerosene? The gear heads in auto-mech in highschool used to tell kids that they needed their pistons rotated and they're muffler bearings greased...good stuff

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

The blinker fluid, muffler bearings, bench fluid (bench fluid is a creation of mine in high school... There were plenty of tranny's stacked up under a bench... One conveniently had a dipstick sticking up touching the outside edge of the bench, infact it almost looked connected to the bench... well the freshmen fell for that once or twice, that they had to check the dipstick once in a while and top it off if it was low) and then we had all the specialty tools we had to tell the 2 people in the tool room we needed to work on our projects... We needed muffler bearing pullers, blinker fluid pump, sometimes the adjustable 18mm socket, or the metric crescent wrench... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

In a discussion about Air Conditioning a while back at my local friendly auto parts store, the counter guy (an older guy who knows what he's talking about) said that one guy once bought some of the small freon cans, and called back saying "How do you get the cap off, I can't seem to pry it off, and then where do I pour it in?" The counter guy laughed, and said "It's a wonder these people don't die sooner. This is why it's not sold anymore." /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

If the counter guys get dumber, and the people get dumber, what happens next? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

·
Registered
534 Posts

You guys should take it easy...I work at one of those parts houses! There are a lot of people who come in and shouldnt' be putting
brakes on their cars...shouldn't hardly be driving it either. I handle all the four wheel drive customers with all types and questions, and
99 times out of 100 I can answer it correctly. Maybe you guys just have the wrong people working at your local stores. The only
time I give people the wrong parts, or bad advice, is when they tell me "that wasn't made that way" or "that wasn't an option".
The Chevy Astro vans where made with ALL WHEEL DRIVE some where not. If some as* tells me that I don't know what I am
talking about...then you can guarantee he'll be back because he's gonna get brakes from an AWD van. Maybe it's ignorant
customer's that think their truck is top secret and they can't share any information about it. Here's another one..I need a head gasket
for a chevy 350...ok..what's it off of?...it doesn't matter, it's a 350....so I say ok...and give them a 350 head gasket...off of an LT1
corvette 350...do they come back? yes they do! why? because they wouldn't share any info!

Maybe you guys shouldn't be so harsh to those guys behind the counter. I can help out anyone when it comes to anything but
if you're an as*, you can go somewhere else.

Alec
(vented now!)

One more thing. You guys should be more orginal:

ask for touch up paint for a delorean (sp)
or
leaf springs for a corvette

G

·

My favorites are chrome muffler bearings or blinker fluid.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·

Alec,
I would have to say from my own experiences that you are the exception to the rule for the "discount" auto parts stores. Don't take it personally as long as you don't fit the descriptions posed here. I try to only use NAPA because of the quality of the parts and the fact that they know how to use the books to find parts and not have a computer to guide them step by step. Sometimes they don't have what I need though and I can't want to wait for an order to come in. I don't know how many times I have been asked by the kids who should be flipping burgers if my Jeep is four wheel drive! Or being told that there is no such thing as a wheel cylinder because the computer doesn't show it and the kid was in the screen for power steering parts. The worst thing is driving ten miles out of the way to get a part that they told me was in stock. I get there and the computer says it's there but the parts guy didn't bother to check the shelf even when I asked him to before I left the house. Since you work in one of these shops, can you honestly say that you don't have any co-workers who fit any of the descriptions in this thread? My guess is you probably have to answer a lot of questions that they can't (and should be able to). Oh just an FYI, older Corvettes used a single leaf spring.

G

·

We were just pulling out for a race one day last summer when the motorhome engine wouldn't crank. After some checking, I found the battery cable connection to the starter solenoid was bad (the phenolic plastic just crumbled from heat over the years). It was Saturday night, so I new I'd have to call Auto Zone. I had my wife call while I pulled the starter. I told her to ask for a starter for an '84 Chevy P30 motorhome chassis with 454 engine. She comes back and says she got a young girl who told her "we don't sell motorhome parts". I told my wife to tell her it was not a motorhome-specific part. She got nowhere. I call back and get the same girl. I asked to talk to a guy. Call me a pig, but I knew I'd get nowhere with her since she had already demonstrated her vast automotive knowledge. Anyway, the guy was another typical computer terminal-reliant counter person, so I was getting nowhere with him either. I ended up having to tell him to look up a starter for an '84 1 ton pickup with a 454. Later, my wife walked out of the store with that starter and the guy telling her it wouldn't work on a motorhome. Of course the starter matched perfectly and we were on our way. That kind of store is OK if you know exactly what you need and know how to translate for them. For me, it's worth paying a little more at the NAPA or similar place.

Someday, I should go into my cat stories...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K10 driver
'79 K10 mud racer
'48 CJ-2A trail Jeep

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Alec:
I tend to agree with you. Most of the local discount parts stores here are staffed by some pretty knowledgeable people who are willing to let you try different parts until you find a part that will make your custom creation work. They give you waht you ask for, not what they think (from there 30 yrs behind the counter) is correct.

Don't get me wrong, I have had some disapointments with the discount auto parts stores as well as success at NAPA.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·

I understand what you're saying, I used to work at a speed shop as a counterman and there are plenty of braindead customers, thats for sure. But there are an unnerving number of braindead "countermen" (and I use quotes cause I dont feel someone who's completely reliant on their computer screen fits as a counterman). For example, I walked into a parts store and asked for a GM caliper bolt, pretty generic and common piece of hardware as you know and was informed that that was a dealer only item because thats what their computer screen said. I borrowed the Bendix book and had a part number in under 3 minutes, entered that into their computer and sure enough almost 30 on hand. Things like this and having to know the year make and model for a D44 cover gasket is simply rediculous. Ive also had great difficulties walking in and trying to use part numbers (including a couple times where I was holding a part that I bought there with THEIR part #'s on it in my hand), while I realize they're not always the same I also know those books they like to hide these days have cross references in them. This is where my frustration with these discount places that have ate up all the old mom and pop stores comes from. It wasnt that long ago you could walk into your neighborhood parts store and the guy behind the counter had some knowledge and experience, that's hard to get when you're hiring for a chain. Basically I shouldnt have to chase around town to find a carb rebuild kit when I have the numbers off the carb written down, I shouldnt be told to go to willys works for a standard GM v8 starter because I happened to tell them it is on a Kaiser Jeep, and I certainley shouldnt get the attitutde I get from these people when I ask to see the parts before I buy it so I can make sure its right. In the end I found one parts place thats close to my house (all the old school shops and speed shops are way across town) that'll work with me. But thats only if the manager and one other employee is there (he's into street rods), if neither are in I pack up and head elsewhere. BTW some of us have rigs that are so modified trying to keep track of year make and model is incredibly difficult... and know the difference between a 350 and a 350 LT1

mike (vented now too;)
71cj5r2 (nothing stock cept the tub)

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

I never actually do anything to counterpeople at parts stores (if for no reason other than I always seem to need parts and if I upset them I'll get wrong parts on purpose /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif)... The people I always messed with were the people in shop class, and then they took their newfound "knowledge" to the parts stores, so the people at the parts stores could get a good chuckle too /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif... One or two of the people who were in shop with me and a few others who did stuff like that to others actually went to parts stores looking for "platinum muffler bearings", because the gold plated ones wear out way too quickly, and everyone knows that the steel ones won't hold up to the immense heat at all... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

For the record, I ALWAYS recommend using the pure platinum muffler bearings, because they'll outlast the vehicle... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·

Tell them you have an 85 CJ-7 with a 304 and see what happens. Hint, no 304s in 85.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.