Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Re: Strange rattle in engie compartment?

It sounds like possibly the manifold bolts that go to the exhaust system are loose, there is 2 of them on both sides that connect the flanges together and sometimes theres a donut gasget in between it. hope this is it, good luck!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hey there Superswamper that is an awsome machine you have there,thanks very much for takeing the time to help out a stranger with his first 4x4 your truely shrewster56.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts

definitely check the manifold bolts as mentioned above. also, check all your brackets and accessories in the compartment....check the motor mounts...check the tension on your belts, as well as the pulleys...

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

3.9 hmmmmm T I M I N G C H A I N R A T T L E That's your noise happens to all of them(3.9s)
Chrysler has S.B about this. There is a fix from the factory but its not free. Does this motor have an air injection pump for the cat? they can rattle also.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

no kidding? my dad unfortunately has a 98 1500 with that 3.9 v6 bull**** and i don't know why it came with a trailer ball because it is the slowest vehicle on earth when pulling a bass boat. the tranny is a POS too, doesn't know how to shift and it's already slipping in OD at 40K miles.

anyway, it sounds horrible when revved, as if something is loose, and a loose timing chain sounds like a damn good possibility. is the fix just to replace the timing gear set? i don't think my dad has even noticed it, but it bothers the hell out of me.

i hope this isn't representative of all dodge trucks because i'm half-ass inclined to go drive this one off the 430 river bridge.

that's why i drive a ford ;)

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

430 river bridge??? you must live down the road...

i live in conway-work in maumelle

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

sho nuff. i live in maumelle with my mom, or in ferndale (w. LR) with my dad, or in little rock with my friend...just depends on the day. i'm going back up to fayetteville this fall for school but i live around here during the summer. You aren't far from the Round Mountain mud races, have you ever been there? They are in Mayflower but very near the conway line. They happen every two weeks and I try to go to every one of them. Lemme know if you want directions.
Check out my site at http://www.arkansasmud.com ...it needs some work but it's fairly interesting

BTW, where in maumelle do you work?

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.