Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: I need advice, I\'m a novice!

Here's my advice: take a look at the very rear of the frame rails for any rust or rot on the frame, also check the front frame rail for rust too. You will probably have rust around the fenderwells and on the front floor boards too. The tub rust you can deal with but I would stay away from frame rot. If everything else looks good, go for it!

Alec

·
Registered
197 Posts

The way you described it, sounds like a fair deal. But I am here to tell you...I have been in and out of CJ's(all 5's) for the last 14 years and if you are not mechanically inclined and dont know what you are looking for, I hate to say it, but you will be taken. When I am looking at a CJ I have a check list that I have tested over time and it hits 37 different things to look at. My advice...if you have a friend who has a CJ or knows them, get him to look at it with you. If not, got to books-a-million or Barnes and Knoble and get a book called "Jeep Owners Bible". It gives a pretty good list of what to look for when buying a used CJ. Good luck...BTW, in my opinion I would chase down the rust on it and figure out what the definition of "some" is. That could be the decision maker for me.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
78CJ5

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Make sure it's passed a recent smog inspection (assuming that's a concern where you live). Check the frame for rust and cracks, particularly around the spring and engine mounts. Just how much rust is some rust? Check the floorboards, find out what's behind that diamond plate, make sure the body mounts are solid. Check for evidence of oil leaks. Heck, just have a mechanic do a used vehicle inspection for you. Make sure everything works (ALL lights, wipers, 4WD, etc).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.