Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EXACTLY HOW DO I USE POR 15 AND WHERE DO I NOT USE IT?
I HAVE MINOR RUST ON THE WINSHIELD FRAME, DOORS AND FENDERS,MEDIUM TO HOLES IN THE FLOOR BOARD AND ROCKER PANELS. DOES POR 15 FILL THESE? DO I HAVE TO CUT AND PASTE OR DOES AFTERMARKET FLOOR BOARDS TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM? NATURALLY, I'M BROKE LIKE MOST JEEP OWNERS. I WILL EVENTUALLY WILL REPAINT, BUT I OBVIOUSLY NEED THE BODY TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION. ALSO THE BED LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY BONDED WITH GLASS TO COVER HOLES. I HAVE RECENTLY DISCOVERED THIS ONCE I REMOVED THE RUBBER FLOOR BED COVER. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! THANKS

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hehe...your's almost sounds like the twin to mine /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
POR-15 is a rust-preventative coating, not a filler. You will need to remove the rusty bits of sheetmetal and do proper sheetmetal or fiberglass repairs. You can almost rest assured that anywhere you THINK you have minor rust (like the windshield frame) you actually have more than meets the eye. Here's what I plan to do with mine since it's basically going to be a trail rig:
Cut out remaining rust from holes and wire brush any surface rust, bond in new front floor panels, fiberglass the rocker panels and rear quarters and cover them with steel diamond plate on the outside, bond in new rear wheelhouses, coat the inside and underside of the tub with Herculiner, bond in a steel diamond plate floor in the rear cargo area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you get the stuff and how tough is it? I am building a new gas tank shield out of 10g steel and I was planing on coating the inside with Durabak....would this be better?

John

84CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using it on my wrangler swap. Bought itr directly from them. Make sure you use gloves or your hands will be colored. Very hard to remove.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered mine off their website at www.por15.com. I just tried to check the site again and couldn't get connected. I don't know if their website is down or gone for good.

When I get home I'll look through the catalog they sent with my order and post the phone number.

Here's the info:
Resto Motive Laboratories, Inc.
PO box 1235 Morristown, NJ 07962-1235
Phone: 937.887.1999
Toll Free: 800.457.6715

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.