Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy there,

I recently installed a pony carb on my stock 88.5 samurai 1.3 motor. Though it started and idels OK, it would not run well enough to even trust it to drive across town. I checked everything I could check externally last weekend and twiddled the idle mix screw. I bascially had to give up when darkness fell. I really dont have much chance to work on it during the week, either.

This afternoon I yanked it out and brought in inside. I spent an hour+ taking it apart and cleaning it out. It really looked fine inside, there was no obvious dirt or anything. A little black junk came out of one of the holes I squirted carb cleaner into, but it wasnt plugged and the stuff wasnt dirt (carbon maybe? Aside from now being certain that it was clean inside, I only did ONE thing different...

I changed the fuel inlet from the side-facing one to the rear-facing one and put the plug in the side facing one. In one of the things I read someone said to make sure you put it in the one with the large, open inlet, not the one with the small opening. They looked like they were around the same size to me, though the hole in one of them was a little off center. I held up the top of the carb and let the float droop, so as to open the fuel inlet. I squirted carb cleaner in each of the inlet holes to see which one flowed more freely and it was the one opposite where the inlet was installed previously.

So I dont really know if it was the cleaning or the switcheroo on the fuel inlet that cured the problem, but I put it back in, let it warm up and then set the idle mixture. I took a 5 mile ride up and down hills and on flat roads up to about 60 mph. I tried accelerating slowly and quickly, going around corners fast, downshifting and hammering it, lugging it below 2000 rpm, etc. I did everything I could think of to try and get it to stumble and it ran great through all of it.

The only thing I noticed was a very slight surging at constant throttle @ around 2500 rpms. I am thinking this might be a little vacuum leak someplace. I can spend some time cleaning up the truncated vac hoses and stuff now that it seems to be running right.

Many thank yous to all the folks who offered advice, suggestions and info during this process. Anyone who is abut to install this carb on their rig, please feel free to PM me and ask questions about my experience.

~daxe (zoom!)

G

·
I ordered the pony carb and a K&N type air filter fro Tazuki88, and was quite pleased with the result. After reading the post, though, a couple of things lept to mind.

One is that I installed the carb with the little fuel window facing forward...this also meant the fuel inlets to the carb are on the front, not the rear.

I ended up doing some mod work to the intake manifold to allow for a more proper mating between the manifold and the carburetor.

I'm interested in servicing recommendations, or any particulars on carb adjustment.

I should add that Tazuki88 was great to work with, had quick responses, and got the carb here in short order. Before, I couldn't do a whole lot better than 55 in fourth gear...possible 60 or 65 on a good day. Forget fifth gear unless downhill with a tailwind.

Presently with no wind, on level ground, I can hold 65-70 in fifth, and I saw an increase of 2-3 mph on the fuel, too.

I also like the ability to manually choke the carb to keep the engine running when it's really cold, and regualate it's warm-up that way.

The one thing I did run into a month ago was carburetor ice, while driving to southern Utah late at night. It had just rained, was quite cold, and I iced up repeatedly on the way down. I'll need to work out some type of carb air box to regulate this, and I don't consider it to be a major obstacle.

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>>One is that I installed the carb with the little fuel window facing forward...this also meant the fuel inlets to the carb are on the front, not the rear.

unless you have a canadian spec samurai you put it on backwards. I matched the large port to the large port and same fo the small.

>>I ended up doing some mod work to the intake manifold to allow for a more proper mating between the manifold and the carburetor.

I ground out my stock insulator (the red one) for this reason. I havent done the intake yet, but I probably will sometime.

>>I'm interested in servicing recommendations, or any particulars on carb adjustment.

in my other post about this I got a few suggestions for idle mix adjustment. The second one worked great. That was to warm it up and get the idle nice and low..turn the idle mix screw in until it starts to slow, then back out 1 1/2 to 2 turns. There arent a hell of a lot of other adjustments on it!!

>>couldn't do a whole lot better than 55 in fourth gear...possible 60 or 65 on a good day. Forget fifth gear unless downhill with a tailwind.

sounds like you might have needed the vent tube mod. Which reminds me, I need to pull that thing out of the carb i took off.

>Presently with no wind, on level ground, I can hold 65-70 in fifth, and I saw an increase of 2-3 mph on the fuel, too.

I just got it running so I am not sure of what I could do, though Icould do 65-70 with the sotck carb without muich trouble. Maybe faster now, though I wouldnt want to drive it that fast. The extra MPG would be nice, though.

>>I also like the ability to manually choke the carb to keep the engine running when it's really cold, and regualate it's warm-up that way.

I havent had a manual choke vehicle in a LONG time, but i do recall liking it.

>>The one thing I did run into a month ago was carburetor ice, ....snip... I'll need to work out some type of carb air box to regulate this,

I just used to stock one. Its ugly, but it will probably prevent this issue from happening.

~daxe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.