Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my HEI about a week ago and maybe this weekend I was thinking of putting it in, but I wanted to get your guys opinion on what kind of spark plug wires you use on your HEI setups. I was looking at some accel or msd wires because I do want to put on some quality wires. Thanks again as always for your help.

Tim
85 CJ-7 2.5 Skyjacker, 2 inch body, Herculiner, holley carb, 32 dunlop muds and a HEI soon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought some 8mm wires from AutoZone for $15.00 with a lifetime warranty. My jeep runs really good.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
MSD Heli-Core wires leak less than any of the wire brands we have used so far.
If you HEI is stock, meaning you didn't opt for a capacitive discharge unit like a MSD 6 or larger module, or didn't get talked into some kind of silly 'MEGA SUPER COIL', then the store brand of Auto-Jerks wires should do. Just remember to get the premium 'lifetime warranty' wires.
It's not too much more for some like the Accel wires that YOU put one end on and you know they fit correctly.
NEVER GET SOLID CORE WIRE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
The best thing you can do for your self is to get a good set of wiring looms with a non conducting clamps that keep the wires at least a half inch apart.
If you have two cylinders next to each other, that fire one right behind the other (like #5 and #7 on a small block chevy), then you must make sure those wires are kept apart to insure inductive firing of the second cylinder doesn't happen 90 degrees too soon.

Hope this helped some, Aaron.

So many cats.... So few recipes...

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Aaron my fingers thank you for not having to post my brains thoughts./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I did the HEI last weekend and used a set of Accel wires. The set I got come so that you can cut them to whatever length and then install the boots. I practiced stripping the wire on one of the longest ones and after a couple of trys I had it down. I am really happy with how it turned out. The set I got was for an 8-cylinder(2 extra for screw-ups) and it included wire seperators. My install is very clean and I don't have any loose wires hanging around.

The wires I bought were $29 at Pep Boys, and I have 2 extras if I ever need them.

Tom

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.