Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The factory rates my 4.0 Max BHP at 4600 RPM, which puts the piston speed at 2612 FPS.
At 3500 I am moving those little ringed rascals at 1988 FPS. I have always heard the engine life begins to be reduced at over 2400 FPS, and can easily buy that theory. You do know that heavy pistons will stretch the rods if the engine is over revved, like if a Diesel engine gets an unplanned sniff of natural gas (when a dozer rips open an underground gas line) and revs into never-never land, so heavy pistons have to go slow./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Uh....don't make it harder than it is....the stroke is 3.41"....moves UP and DOWN so that's 6.82"...OR. .5683333333 feet....times five grand......gives you 2841.666666666 Feet Per Min. Hey...did I saw Feet Per SECOND in my other post??? NO WONDER! Sheesh!/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif Oh well...../wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

CJDave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.