Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the PIP or profile ignition pickup on the EECIV distributors work?I'm under the impression thet it is a hall effect type sensor.Would it matter what positon the rotor was installed on the cam gear or is it indexed to the rotor.In other words if the distributor was installed a tooth off would it effect the PIP?I know it does'nt effect the timing as long as you can turn the dist. base and set the timing.

Thanks,
Billy

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,but how does it index with the number 1 cylinder.?If you put the engine on #1 at TDC and align the cap #1 post with the rotor,does this line up the pip with the #1 vane on the shaft?The haynes does'nt really say.It does say to mark the dist. base in reference to the rotor position when pulling the dist.I'm assuming this will line up the pip sensor with the #1 vane.

Billy

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
It's indexed by the tone ring being installed on the same shaft as the rotor and the PIP being installed in the dist body, which is indexed to the cap, which is indexed to the terminals (including #1). When you time the cap to the rotor by turning the body, you ALSO time the PIP to its tone ring (the star under the rotor with as many points as you have cylinders).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts