Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Absolutely positively a bearing. No ifs ands or buts about it./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just in case this was a serious question.....I think there are only bushings available. Never seen a pilot bearing.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
I hope ya'll are refering to the fact that pilot BEARINGS are not available for his vehicle - 'cause they do make them!

Used one in my 350 -- needle type instead of the bronze bushing.

I don't know about other engines, tho.

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I didn't get the joke. I knew there was such a thing as pilot bearings. I don't think you need one unless
you go to the drag strip a lot or are in the habit of reving it up to four grand and dumping the clutch at
traffic lights. The pilot shaft only turns with respect to the flywheel when the clutch is disengaged so
the bushing is usually fine.

G

·
Yeah, you're right. No real need for bearings on jeeps, but my engineering just won't leave well enough alone...

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

G

·
Nice thing about using bearings vs. bushing is that they last longer. In fact, I think the bearing is more common now than the bushing. Contact Protech in Denver, Mike can sell you a kit that includes the bearing and new bolts....

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Maybe they mean crankshaft-to-flywheel bolts? About the bushing-bearing question: Ball bearings were sometimes used in the back of big cranks in the fifties....like big Mopar trucks. The sticker is....the bell housing had better be perfect....no runout on the fit-up surface, or the bearing will not last long, and it's a long way in there to swap it out. The big Mopar engines (actually double-rocker Chryslers) had a deep bore in the crank with a snap ring internal groove to hold a ball bearing. It always worried me that so much of the crank was bored away, but I never broke one. Only the hardened, shot-peened cranks were that way. Personally, I prefer a bushing. Less risk, and heck, who rides the clutch that much anyway. Isn't that why we have low range? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless I've made 'em up myself.

G

·
The three year old irrigation motor I used had a bearing, it was totally out. I never used the clutch, crank it up, let it run forever, kill it. Never used the clutch, unless I was greasing the u joints(with the motor off of course). I guess if a bearing doesn't turn every now and then, it will go out. I've heard that if you line up the driveshaft perfectly, the u joints won't last long. Makes sense, to me anyway.

I used a pilot bushing on my 350.

Just a farmer

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You are absolutely correct about the u-joints...if you don't have at least five degrees of angle, the needles will not make the trip around the spider leg and will leave little grooves./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless I've made 'em up myself.

G

·
I have lived in the SW since 1980, had the same Jeep since 85. With the dust in this area, the needle bearing seem to last a lot longer. I had the original bushing go out in 11,000 mile, started making noise. Put in a bearing, replaced it at 85,000 with the clutch, did the same at 122,000. The needle bearings are the same price as the bushing, last time I bought one it was about $7, what I consider cheap insurance. It's an awful lot of work to replace a $7 part. And BTW, I wasn't joking in my original post, I was talking from 15 years of experience.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.