Off Roading Forums banner

pilot bearing going in/freeze and tap square??????

981 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  sas87yj 
G
#1 ·
my thanks to all who advised me with the "grease method" to get the old pilot bearing out. tried the wet toilet paper too but went back to the grease. the needles were gone and soon the housing for them ate-it so i had to go a larger bolt. taped up good and greased full. finally on one attemt the ba$tard broke loose and budged a little. took 3 more attempts of new grease and tape job to get the wh@re out!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

don't know if you can see it but the bearing is on the bolt i'm holding! damn, i'd better clean that spacer plate! shoulda used my good hand- that thumbs been broke in 3 places!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

QUESTION:
freeze and lightly grease and gently square tap new one in with small hammer?

thanksssssssss

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi

See less See more
#2 ·
i just beat them in with a socket that matches their size... but i have only done bushings.. not pilot bearings... dont grease it.. i would try the freeze and tap method.. works for other types of bearings..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G
#3 ·
jeeeeeeeeeeeeepgodddddddddddd!!!!!!!
thanks dude!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
they call it a bushing somewhere but it has little needles in it and i have been calling it a bearing. no grease to make it slide easier? there's a little bridge over a dry wash going to flagstaff in the verde valley called "dry beaver"!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif so that's what you recommend?
thanks for the help god-man

steve

#5 ·
If it is a bearing freezing it can't hurt if it is a bushing ,It had been recommended to me to soak them in motor oil overnight and just hammer them in with a socket of appropriate size just make sure it is square when you start.
Thats what Ive been told and done

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

G
#6 ·
thanks guys-
frozen bearing went in no prob. started it square and tapped in with small hammer holding the match dia socket on bearing. wish everything went this smooth!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.