Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The starter truck is a 1990 K2500 4x4. Most of the kit was pucrchased. It is the Bummer kit that is out of production now. Most Bummer kits were made to be soft tops. This one is the only one with a 2 piece hard top. I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can jerk the doors off and later take to top off.
Some parts I had to fab up, like some of the seat mounts or placements for the AC and what not.
I am planning on redoing the engine through trany a few years from now so that I will have overdrive and when I do that I will throw a solid axel in the front. Currently it has a 350, th400, geared at 3.73 and drives pretty good since the whole truck weights about as much as a jeep cherokee or something like that.
Total converson ended up being about 20K in the end. That includes the price of the truck.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, why wouldnt' you just start with a Solid axle truck? Since you basically did a body swap, wouldn't it have made better sense to put it on a Solid axle truck, rather than swap to an IFS truck and then do a SAS?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Thats unique and pretty cool... Argh why dont we [bleep] call this the IFS bashing forum, if people dont like ifs you shouldnt have [bleep] bought it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a good point there.
In my case I want to do the swap so I can go to a bit taller tire, 40s and hopefully get rid of ball joits for kingpins.
Ifs is ok and my truck doesn't weigh as much as it did. it's something like 350 to 550 pounds lighter on the front end. I will be inetrested in seeing how things hold up.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
LOL! Now that my friend, was funny. I never really thought about it before, but this IS the IFS board, and almost everyone wants to go SFA... Isn't that odd? NOT that SFA isn't better (oh look, now I'm doing it), but we DID all buy IFS trucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea the new kits look pretty interesting. The runt looks to be a pretty good crawler if your willing to swap out a bunch of parts but the grill looks bad.
The Grunt is bigger and the last one I saw was painted yellow and looked like an overgrown VW bug.
Hopefully the fullsized kit he calls the Bone will be cool. I have seen the drawings and it is more squared off and should be cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.