Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just another wheelin trip.....NOT!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
if you've never been in SE utah, check it out! some beautiful country. didn't do any "extreme" wheelin but did 50 miles 4wd trails one day and 90 the next. went in and around arches and canyonlands parks. colorado and green rivers. there still are areas open to us wheelers.

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well, you may have done the impossible...make an east coast mountain boy long for a trip out west. Looks like fun...man if only more people could understand what beauty their is out their!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's some big land out there, where I wheel you usually can't see 200 yards in any direction...awesome

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where were the bottom two pictures taken? They look kinda like the road that goes to Chicken Corners. You guys who have never been to the west gotta come see what the views are like in person. Moab may not have the most difficult trails, but the vistas are beyond belief. Stop here in Colorado and we can show you what the views are like at 12,000 feet just to add to the mix!

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snowtow-
those were on the white rim trail which goes through and around canyonlands. don't know where chicken corners is but will try to find on map. yeah i am going to colorado next! been on some trails with my dad in the 60's and would like to re-visit. mosquito pass was one.

steve

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Steve,
Great pics,
Glad to hear you had a good time. We were wondering what happened to you, after we met on Saturday afternoon.
You really cant say enough about the spectacular views of the Moab area. Its awsome that they are still opened to us to explore and enjoy. Hopefully everyone will respect the rules placed on us, as offroaders, and they will remain opened.
The views from the cliffhanger trail were the most spectacular, I have ever driven on, and a bit scarry, knowing that a major screw up would result in a 1000 ft drop.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
White Rim! The very first trail I ever did in Moab, back in 1986. Beautiful drive, can be done in a stocker, it is usually done in 2 days, you can camp around the middle at a small camping area you have to reserve. But, we did it in one day, got caught in the windstorm from hell. That red blowsand was inside things that were inside things, ended up eating up my pilot bushing. Great pics, there are several good arches on that road, Mussleman Arch comes to mind.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jeff
yeah we really wanted to hook up with you and ron and jaffer but here's how it went!
we left your camp and went into town- checked out the colorado river and didn't turn right to see the BLM camps that ron had talked about. went back into town and stopped at visitor center and talked to them and got some maps. a guy there told me about a cool camp in the manti-la-sal forest- lake oowah is where we stayed sat night. nice spot in the aspens! got pretty cool at night- camp fire in eve and morn with coffee. we decided to pack up camp because it was a "boon-dock" camp and near the road. wouldn't feel safe leaving all gear there while wheeling all day and it was rather far from town. we packed up and found the BLM camps along the river. warmer there and didn't need a fire. so sun morn after we set up tent and tarp at river we went to your camp figuring you would be gone and you were- must have been around 9:30 am? we headed out to arches park and 4wheeled on casual trails for the day. we figured you wouldn't want to do these type of trails and i didn't really want to go "extreme" under those conditions of driving the jeep all way from tucson. my clutch is sounding a little weak also. we had a great time and want to go back soon!

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah brad-
all kinds of $hitters along the way which i thought was funny!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif then i noticed little posts that said "begin camp" and "end camp". i figured these were little areas you were allowed to camp and with a $hitter! we stopped once near the green river and tons of mosquitos hit us! we booked it! we saw only 4 rigs the whole day- pretty lonely country! one jeep approached and we both stopped side-by-side. i said " have you seen a circle k close by?" his accent(french) told me right away he didn't see this as a joke! he said "circle k?" with a shocked looked on his face! he's probably thinking "those damn americans are lost without their circle k!" yeah this area is fantastic! i was here in the 60's with my dad and we had some problems getting out on a trail near dead horse with his 57 land rover. yeah we had a brutal wind on tues going home to tucson- blew hard all the way home. mostly a head-wind too! flag had a fire in the mnts and smoke everywhere. damn those gas prices are bad too- $177 for round trip and wheelin.

steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts