Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a b uddy going to school in phenix, who is trying to convince me to go to, if I go I will do the deisol program, but I dont know much about that area or the school (UTI) UNIVERSTY OF TECH INSTUNTUTE.

I already backed out of one school after getting all my loans approved and classes all figured out, so I dont want to do it again. it was a big PITA to get the loans and even worse getting rid of them, so I dont want to go through that again.
UTI will be around 14grand but I can go back and retrain anytime for nothing so I think that makes it worth it?

let me know what you guys think
hopefully theress someone attending the school or in phenix that could give me some info.

thanks
Evan, sorry this isnt about trucks

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

G

·
I graduated from UTI in 1989. I have never been sorry I attended there even for a second. I actually teach automechanics now for a local community college. I know it is a lot of $ but it is well spent. They will push you hard but stick to it and you'll make it. They have a very good reputation and it looks very good on a resume. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everything Ive heard about the school is great, my buddy has learned so much, but hes in the auto desol program, and its costing him an arm and a leg,(somwhere over 20grand).
IM thinkgin hard on this, if I go Ill be able to stay at his place, he even said hed get me a job working as a fleet mechanic, cuae hes there head mechanic. class is only from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm so Ill be able to work full time.

Im thinking thatr 14g is isnt that bad conceidering what you get, even then the payments dont start untill 6 months after school and ther only 100 bucks a month.

its sounded good to me. Im just kinda thinking outloud

a87
maybe ill be school bound in amonth or so?
thankx for the reply

Evan

G

·
14grand sounds like a lot of money to me to learn how to work on diesel engines. Isn't there a local community college around where you live that teaches that? If there is it would be alot cheaper than going to a privately owned school. Just for example, one of my best friends wanted to learn to be an aircraft mechanic so he checked out a place here in town (San Antonio) called Hallmark Institute of Technology and they wanted 19grand for their aircraft mechanic program. He then checked out a local community college that offered the same program for about a total of $2500 dollars. Now Hallmark is losing their ass to the college because everyone is going there now cause its so much cheaper. If you like working on diesel engines how about starting off as a mechanics helper like at a big truck dealership, that would be a good start. Good Luck.

G

·
Buddy of mine went there. He really seems to know his stuff. He never has trouble finding work and he makes good money too. Sounds like a worthwhile thing to do with your time.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Kid, A local community college would be a lot cheaper. But, if you did go to phoenix and saved your money while you were there you'd prolly be alright. How long is the program there? And how long do you have to pay back the loan? Those would be two things to think about. Because the length of time you have to pay it back will affect how much money you have to pay a month. You probably know that though.

Going back to school is going to help you in the long run. Thats why I'm going back this fall. You'll have a lot more options as far as jobs. And a lot of places are wanting some sort of schooling. I'm only 20 and I worked for the up rail road. I fueled trains there and when I stoppped and looked at everyone there a lot of them hate it there. But it's like they're stuck. I didn't want to be like that. I say go for it /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was enrolled in a junior college that has the diesel program, but I backed out at the last sec. that was a 11 month program that would run me about 6g plus living expesnses. not sure why I backed out but I did.

UTI will loan the full 14 grand. and the payments untill six month after I get finished, and the payments are 100 bucks a month for the rest of your life. but everything Ive heard about them is good.

right now Im weighing UTIs diesel program agaisnt going to lineman school. last night I thought I decided tp go to uti but today Im thinking lineman school, I think Id make more as a lineman and it doesnt cost near as much as UTI, and Id also be traveling alot wich is a plus for me.

and Im not sure I want to be a greese monkey, ya I like working on all kinds of stuff, but do I want to do it 8 hours a day 6 days a week, Im nnnot sure.

thanks for all the replys, hopefully I decide on something withn the next few months.

Thanks
Evan

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I love being a mechanic and working on vehicles. Especially when I learn something new about them. That is one reason I try to read every post on here I can to see what you people can teach me. I have been working as a HMMWV mechanic(and other various military vehicles) for 4.5 years and would love to work for GM as a tech.

KID As for UTI, I had 4 friends going there when I was attending DeVry(another good school for you interested in electronics) and they were learning so much I was jealous. The training is very comprehensive and thourough. And this ws at the Phoenix campus(a great place to live). I would love to be able to go there, but I have a wife and daughter I am supporting now that require a lot of attention. Maybe GM will pay me to go to their tech school in a couple years....

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
about hobbies being a job. one of my other hobbies is motocross, and I was a greese monkey at a kawasaki- yamaha dealer, and loved it, sometimes I wish I could go back there. UTI also has the small engine dep but I dont know much about it,

So Im not sure waht to think, but I do want to travel and therd be plenty of traveling with doing the lineman work

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Kid, are we talking lineman as in power lines? My buddy's dad does that. He's done it for like 20 years now. Loves it, but it's dangerous and he has travelled A LOT. He's been in California, Oregon, and Washington for most of it, but has been as far as Michigan and a few other states out East doing it for the companies. He has gotten hurt a couple of times though. He was up a pole one time, and unfortunately for him, the pole's top half was internally dry rotted. The outside seemed firm, but as soon as he got about 3/4 of the way up it broke in two and fell off. With him on it./wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif He ended up getting clunked in the head with it on the way down or on the ground, I forget which, and has partial memory loss now. At the same time he loves the job and almost has his son talked into doing it.

Whatever happened to the forest fire fighter job?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I had another friend in Phoenix going to Motorcycle Mechanics Institue and he was learning quit a bit there as well. I looked at it, but reenlisted again. Looks like a decent school.

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AJM,
ya Im concidering the electrical linmen school (powerlines. I want to travel and I dont mind a high risk job either. like fighting fires, which I pursed earlier in the year but, got the run around from the blm and the forest service.
The blm lost my application, so I ended up trying to get on the fire crews through a the step porgram(stedudent temporary employment prgram), but they ended up highering people students from out of state.

and the forest I didnt pursue after my enital application

but hopefully next year I can get on with the BLM if Im lucky, thats if Im not a lineman by then

Evan

G

·
Hey Kid, I've only heard great things about UTI and it's the school I'm going to go to. My boss and several of my friends have gone their and only have go things to say about it. If the tuition is a problem International has a plan: They give 26 weeks of additional training and if you work for them for a year they help pay back your loans. I can give you a lot more info, if you want it.

My truck ain't leaking oil it's marking it's territory!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Kidd, looks like I have the same interests as you. I am a graduate of GM's ASEP (Automotive Service Educational Program). Spent two years in Junior college learning nothing but GM equipment. Diagnose and repair everyting bumper to bumper, except body work. Spent time at GM's Training center in Burbank CA, and then spent six years in a GM Dealership.

Now........ I am a Transmission System Operator for a Power Co. I work 4000 volts to 535,000 volts. Line work is a good job, but it depends if you want to work at a Transmission level (500kv to 115kv) or at a Distribution level (115kv to 120 volts). It is a labor intensive job, but it is a glory job. Just remember one thing before you consider line work...... you make the most money in the worst conditions..

95 4Runner..suzy stocker until tax return..............

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
400K5,
Im alwsys looking for more info, expecialy something as important as this, all that carear decision stuff. If you wouldnt mind posting the info you talked about or emailing me I would realy apreciate it, [email protected] is my email. also is there a site for that company.
thanks a bunch
Evan

Oh when do you plan to attend the the school?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.