Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm glad i've moved to PA. but i'm going broke getting my 2 jeeps and chevy truck registered.
I've bought Xenon YJ flares $300, 2-brake drums $70, 4-brake shoes $18, 2nd set of wheels and tires $155, wiper blades $12, 2 of 3 license plates $200, 2 of 3 safety inspections $45, for a total of $800.00
bad thing is i still need a speedometer cable and i think 2 more rear drums (8-Lug) and who know what? i haven't even tried to get 3/4tonYJ registered or inspected yet, i think i'll be driving on florida plates for awhile still.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Darn! That's sort of how General Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia felt when they visited Pennsylvania in late June and early July of 1863. Nothin' was as easy as was expected....took longer...and cost more./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
We got a few more hills and a little more tricky driving demands here in PA than in FLA./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif If you don't like it that much, you can
always move to Ohio. ha ha ha (or find a friendly neighborhood auto shop that will be a little more lienient on the inspection as I did
for my 2 CJ's, I got by even with glasspacks & no cat. converter) Good Luck & Wecome!

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Don't feel bad, 3/4tonYJ. I have to go thru the same thing with my Cherokee before 2/29/2000. (I'm from Philadelphia. We have to go thru emissions, too.) /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
Good Luck /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Heck, how do you think so many PA mechanics stay gainfully employed/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif? Gosh, it's liberal now (sorry for the "L" word, Dave).....at one time (mid 70's) when it was every 6months. Not only that ....but the laws were really strict....no headers....heck..legally if a car came through with single exhaust and EVEN if duals were/was available it was illegal .....or is that unlawful (it was never enforced to my knowlege however)? Until you get to know a decent local shop plan on a few hundred ($3-400) per vehicle per inspection.
Seriously.....after you get used to the specs....and replace your brakes often enough.....and keep the exhaust and tires in good shape...it reduces down to wiper blades and bulbs. That still amounts to almost $100 considering that the emissions and the safety inspection can tab up to over $50.

I don't believe that the speedo cable is a required inspecition item though......it never has for me. Then again....all of mine have been working for the past 10 or so years so it may in fact be a requirement at this time.

Welcome to Pennsylvania!!!

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Speedo cab is required. I don't think most shops would notice though. Although the mechanic is supposed to take the car for a drive, I think most places consider the drive from the parking space to the bay as a test drive... and who is looking at a speedo in a parking lot. Obtw, fenderwell headers are still illegal but again, most places don't care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.