Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta problem with my emergency brake on my 91 YJ, it dosen't lock down. Are there any fix for this type of problem or I should get a factory replacement?

Thanks,

Nycjeep :)

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
You are probably missing the spring in the assembly that holds the "lock" mechanism in place. Did it used to work? Check the assembly, it will be apparent if the spring became dislodged of caught on something else. I had mine do this a few times, just lube it with some WD-40 and you'll be all set.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JEEPN,
Thanks for reply my message. Yes, the emergency brake pedal was working(here and there). Which spring are you refering to?

Nycjeep :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on mine, I have to press the little e-brake t-handle back in place in order for the e-brakes to lock on. If I don't, the pedal won't stay in place. I havn't felt like replacing the spring. Look at what might be wrong and diagnose....that's what I do

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check behind the parking brake pedal, there is a little plastic cam thing (big tech word) that has to be perfectly aligned to engage with the brake pedal arm. There is no adjustment to the cable itself, just that little cam thing can get misaligned with the pedal itself...and you just need to bend the arm to re-align it. Always make sure you always press the pedal so it goes straight on to that cam thing, do not jam the pedal down at an angle.

You can also spray it with some WD40 to clean off some of the dust and grime that may be preventing it from locking.

Cutch 88YJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.