Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of parting spark plugs? there are a couple ole' boys in town that did it to theirs and they won't tell anyone how...their trucks run like ... i don't know what, but somehow they said they "parted their plugs" any info on anything to do to your plugs will be greatly appreciated. thanks jpc

I liKe mUd.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
i've never heard of parting plugs. i'm assuming that they're re-gapping them to a larger spec. when you regap, there's a certain amount you can increase until the truck don't run so good /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif you have to adjust and monitor to find the optimum gap for your truck.

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Gapping, basically must be done with every sparkplug change. Then you can also play around with widening the gap over the recommended size, to as wide as possible before it starts running bad (the wider the gap the better, to a point, and then it starts getting worse!)

Indexing, is done by drag racers to gain every little bit of possible power they are in constant pursuit of /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
It takes alot of sparkplugs. basically you are looking for sets of plugs that all will end up with the electrode facing the same direction when they are screwed in.

Parting ????? The only thing I can think this MIGHT be??? is before splitfire plugs were available, I remember way back in my early days of drag racing hearing of guys splitting (or maybe "Parting") there plugs in pursuit of a hotter spark, basically HOMEMADE Splitfires./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I always thought it sounded like alot of work/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif for a very little gain/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif.
Of course for hardcore campaigning drag racing, 1/1000th of a second can cost you, or make you $$$$$$ just ask John Force/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard of people that swear by cutting some of the electrode off and then setting the left over gap to specs. I never believed it until I read about it in a magazine from a few years back (Car Craft I think maybe 1996). The engine was dynoed at 342 HP at just over 5100 RPM. After they cut the plugs they picked up 7 more peak ponies. Then they indexed them and picked up another 12. Shortened plug life was the only drawback to the whole deal. I haven't had the balls to try it yet.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Yep, that's called side-gapping. Here's an article on it from performance unlimited:
Side-gap
take a look around their whole site, there are some AWESOME trucks (mainly fords) on it!

later...ford is god!

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure they weren't talking about parting their hair plugs? That would be a different thing altogether.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison

1 - 6 of 6 Posts