Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem that I have. On my '91 K1500, my parking brake light seems to flash randomly, except for when the parking brake is applied. The guy I had bought the truck from in November, said that it was the parking brake sensor. But when I went to a dealership to get a new one, they didn't know anything about a parking brake sensor. Also, if I disconect and then reconnect the battery, the light wont flash, it will just stay on, then a week or so later, start flashing again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my dads s10 did that. check the parking brake switch. its attached to the bracket that the pedal is mounted to - when the pedal is pushed down it stops contact and turns on the light. on his truck the bracket had gotten bent a little so the switch was messed up. or if it really annoys you, disconnect the switch. its pretty obvious your parking brake is on when you try to drive!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine did that with a bad switch, I don't know if unplugging it is a good thing though (may or may not hurt). What I do know is the same circuit is used so that when your brake fluid is low or low pressure, the switch in the proportioning valve sends a signal to the parking brake light switch to let you know if you have a problem (mine came on when I cut a line on a rock) so I don't know if unplugging the parking brake switch will defeat the low brake fluid light if unplugged because they share the same circuit (could be a bad thing). Just something to consider. It's like hearing a whine from your rearend and turning up the radio to drown it out. It cures a symptom, but not the problem and may lead to a bigger headache down the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 90 GMC and have the same problem. I talked to a mechanic about it and asked me if I needed a brake job. I told him I did and he said it had something to do with the rear anti-lock brakes. Some sensor for that. I still haven't gotten the brake job yet due to mot enough money so I can't be sure if he was right. He was a trusted mechanic that I was calling for advice on something else so I don't know why he would lie. But I was planning on selling the truck to get a newer one with less miles and an extended cab. So I may never find out.
Drizzt97

P.S. By the way. All of you that helped me with the fuel pump problem a few months ago. I think my new one just went out this morning.

That which does not kill us, only makes us work on the truck more!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts