Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 CJ-7 and the top is faded and some paint is flaking off. What is my best bet for an inexpensive do it yourself paint job for the top? Would Krylon work. Any prep work needed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The better you prep the better ANY paint will work. My experience with paint has been the more time you spend prepping and using higher quality products the longer it will last. With paint you get what you pay for. Thats my take.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just painted mine (a 15 year old CJ-7 hardtop) with Plasticote gloss black paint from PepBoys. I washed it with soap and water first, then swabbed it with xylene several times until the rags came up clean. It took about five cans of paint and about that many coats, but it looks great and only cost about $35 total. I saw somewhere that a guy used Hammerite paint, but I couldn't find it where I live otherwise that would have been my choice.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
i really took my time and painted my top at the same time i painted my jeep.. and my advice is.. don't paint it! at least not if you plan on off-roading with the hard top on..it gets scratched very easily.. and it runs nasty looking stuff down the body when it rains

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.