Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any secrets on painting aluminum? I got some items that I want to paint because I dont like the look of plain aluminum on my jeep.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I did this years ago on a flat bottom boat, it really needs a special type of primer, I cant remember what its called, I know BIG HELP!, but itll stick either way, but last for a LOT longer with the proper primer.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that you have to clean it with an acid before you paint it, I'll see if I can find the info for you.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
that sounds right, acid etch, or etching primer, I cannot remember

i called a few local paint stores when i went thru this and one out of 5 was able to tell me the right way

good luck

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
go down to the local A/C shop and get this stuff that is
used to clean condinsers, I don't rember what it is called
but it's pink and is hydrofloric acid. The shop I use to work
at used this stuff to clean aluminum before we welded it.
then use and etching or epoxy primer.Guarenteed not to
lift.Later

HAWG WILD
I USE TO BE SCHIZOPHRENIC, BUT NOW WE ARE FINE /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
The acid etch is called Alodyne. You should be able to buy some at an aircraft supply store. If the part is small, dip it until it is a light golden color. If it is larger, take paper towels and soak them with the alodyne on the part until same color. Rinse part in water. Dry completely. Next use a zinc chromate primer or a substitute. Dry completely. Then top coat with a compatable paint, usually any type will be fine. The Alodyne step could be omitted if you scuff up the aluminum with scotch-brite, but you have to get every nook and cranny then use a solvent to remove any body oil. The alodyne is the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.