Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used Dupont paint. Either their lacquer (I forget what it's called) or their centari enamel stuff.

The last time I bought paint (two years ago) a gallon of model 12 white centari was $98. No one around here sells Dupont paint so I asked a place that sells PPG. They said they sell stuff that is comparable to centari for only $55. They also sell some other inexpensive stuff that is a little better that requires a catalyst for $65. That means that after a quart of catalyst and a gallon of reducer I'll have a complete paint job for less than what just the dupont paint cost.

So, what is an ideal paint from PPG? I know Jason has played with PPG before. We're talking black metallic (just in case PPG does something goofy where you can't have metal flakes in some of their paints). I prefer enamel paint for a truck. Lacquer is good if you want a shine like chrome.

I won't do clearcoat. Why? Because clearcoat never looks good except on a vehicle with multiple colors/stripes (and that's only because it hides the edges). It hides some imperfections and makes others more obvious. Every time I've tried it the paint looked worse with it on. Plus, it makes touchups a bitch.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
the stuff my dad and i are buying from BIG A auto, is an enamel paint, we were told that a clear coat is NOT recomended with it, so i dont think we are gonna clear coat it. IT has a specail hardner that you mix with it or somethin i guess.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There aren't any auto parts stores around here or around my parents called that.

We have between the two of us:
Napa
Advance Auto
Carquest
AutoValue
Western Auto
Autozone

or at least I think that is all of them. Those are the only ones I've been in anyway.

The catalyst/hardener is pretty common with most paints. I usually don't use hardener with enamel because I prefer the paint to stay soft. For example, Centari doesn't really need a hardener but they recommend that you do use it.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I have bought the paint before, but I always just took a panel of a car in and had them find one that matched and it was a single product paint. No catalysts and no clear coat. I want to paint the white truck too and don't know if I want to do it myself or not yet. Probably not since if a cop drives by and sees me I get a nice 10 grand fine

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch. I think only businesses get fined here in Michigan and only if you do it outside of a booth with a high volume gun. I'm pretty sure all businesses have to use a HVLP gun and I think there are rules as to whether or not you have to use a filtered booth. They don't use boothes around here but they do things a little "differently" around here.

Close the garage door, no one will know. If you're worried about passing out due to fumes cut a hole in the roof and mount a fan in a box up there to blow it out. Then when you get done put a roof can up there.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Well, if I cut a hole in the roof of my garage, I'll be looking into my bedroom through it, so, uh scratch that idea
. And the willys is currently at home in the garage leaving no room for nuttin. But, as soon as I get the white truck done, I can put it's old tires/wheels on the willys and get the chassis rolling around so I can put the body on it and free up half the garage.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a chute to the garage. It can expedite getting out to the garage and doing a project in the morning. hehe.

Plus, wouldn't you like the smell of paint engrained in to your bedroom?

Forget the Willys. Get that Camaro in the garage! Or perhaps you'd like to donate it to me? I'd put it in my barn and throw everything else out.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure? Did you ask it? It'd probably pee antifreeze in complaint if it had a motor in it.

I've got a 10x20 barn that it'd look really nice in. That's not a hint or anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.