Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey LEVE,
I read on your web sight that you painted your jeep. Im in the middle of painting mine and had a few questions. Is there any brands of paint to stay away from? Im planning to paint it myself with an air gun. Also, if I bring it down to metal in a few places, is it important to use a special kind of primer? Will a rattle can primer job still do ok with a automotive spray on base coat? Will the hood warp easily when sanding or not really? A guy at a paint shop told me not to sand blast a car but he said it was all right for a jeep cause they were so rigid. Does sand blasting work better than just plain sanding? Thanks for the help. I'll probably have more questions later.

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

· Registered
13,180 Posts
Coleboy remember you're getting answers from a guy who's dumber than a rock... that said...

Q. Is there any brands of paint to stay away from?
No... quality is determined by usage, applicaiton and price. If these three critera match that's going to be a quality paint. Do your reasearch. When you've decided on a manufacture call the help line and quiz them on applicaiton and durability.

Q. Also, if I bring it down to metal in a few places, is it important to use a special kind of primer?
Use a good primer that will self-etch and provide a good base for the final paint coats. I like to use an opposite color of primer to the finish coats. This way I can easily spot uneven coverage when spraying the finish color.

Q. Will a rattle can primer job still do ok with a automotive spray on base coat?
Good Question. Lots of these paint jobs are done because their cheap. Now I'm cheap... real cheap... but I shy away from this type of paint job. The reason is that for a few dollars more I can buy the materials to do a nicer paint job. I have the air compressor and the tools, so the extra costs in paint and reducer is minimal for the value of the dollar to the outcome.

Q. Will the hood warp easily when sanding or not really? A guy at a paint shop told me not to sand blast a car but he said it was all right for a jeep cause they were so rigid.
Sandblasting can warp and deform metal. If the sanblast operator is careful, knows his craft and uses the right medium... there will be no problem at all.

Q. Does sand blasting work better than just plain sanding?
Paint removal by hand or mechanical removal has the same goal... remove paint. Sandblastind just does it faster! For us lazy guys it's the way to go. My $19 sandblaster works wonders and I use it all the time to clean up metal and strip paint in preperation for re-painting.

· Registered
856 Posts
I agree with Leve on all points.It is really about you though what kind of quality do you expect...you won't get a quality paint job from Maco and SHOULD expect a much better quality from a real paint shop.Doing it yourself remember every step is important as the next, shooting a good paint over a crappy prep job will give you a crappy finish.
I would avoid spraying good paint over rattle can primer .I have used rattle can paint over rattlecan paint and wound up with a wrinkle finish ,Interesting effect but not for a finish paint job,use the right primer for the topcoat.
I would also avoid sandblasting sheet metal..but that is just another opinion.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dumb as a rock huh?
Well if your the rock I must be the dirt under the rock.:)
Thanks for the help.

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

· Registered
2,196 Posts
I just painted my Jeep with all PPG paint products. I used a corosion inhibitiong primer on all the old metal parts (hood, tailgate) that were taken down to bare metal first. Then put an epoxy primer over everything (pre-primed hood/tailgate, new w/s frame and the 'glass tub & fenders). Then laid on the top coat, an acrylic urethane called "Concept". It is a one step (not a base coat / clear coat) paint that laid on VERY nice with a paint gun I bought at menards. It's got a couple spots where it is a little orange (no pun intended) peeled, but I'm sure it is from not wet sanding the primer well enough. I spent a total of $500 on paint/reducer/hardener/primer etc. and ended up with a paint job that I would have paid $2000 for if I couldn't have done it myself! And now I have the equiptment to do it again. Preperation is the key to a good paint job, if your Jeep is a trail rig that will see scars and you don't want to put that much in to it, then rattle-can it. If you want it to look nice for a while anyways, take the time to do a nice job. You will be much happier with the results.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.

Attachments

· Registered
1,134 Posts
The key to a good paint job is QUALITY SELF-ETCHING PRIMER! It will cost you $100 (2 to 3 times what cheapo runs) to get it but you will endup with a much cleaner job. If you are getting real picky you can have the primer tinted and spray one coat of grey and then one coat of yellow and when you are sanding and see the yellow sand away and the grey stay, you have a small dent that you need to feather out.
My last paint job was on a tight budget and I went with the cheap primer. I busted my butt wet sanding it and still had some spots that didn't have a nice smooth finish, what a PITA.
Also, buy or borrow a gravity fed gun if you can.
big ed

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Great really aggressive self etching primer is VariPrime.
Dupont centari or imron, is excellent single stage paint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to be careful sandblasting as it will harden the metal making it difficult to hammer out any dents. Make sure you do all straightening before you sandblast. If you have any rusted places, it will sure blow a hole in the metal quickly. Been there-done that.
When priming, it is a good idea to use primer surfacer and then block sand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was planning on having my sons' yj painted,but someone told I could do it myself.He said use rubbing compound on primer coat,wet sanding sounds better what is the difference?I'm sure I'll have more questions later.Paint jobs are expensive if a body shop does it.Wouldn't mind saving a few hundred bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't want to use self-etching primer on fiberglass. Ask the paint store guy what to use. Use a primer designed for fiberglass. You will need to rough up the gel coat with sandpaper and the primer will stick well.
I painted my Jeep myself with Martin Seniour brand paint- their expensive epoxy primer and metallic British Racing Green Acrylic Enamel paint. It went on well, but the metallic paint shows the wrinkles of the almost 50 year old sheet metal. I would use a non-metallic paint if I did it again. I used a gravity fed HVLP gun I got for $80 at a local tool shop. It worked great. The paint is really hard now that it has dried for 2 months.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.