Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy some new tires for my 82 Scrambler. I've noticed that tires come with the pre-fix of P or LT. I know this stands for Passenger or Light Truck but I don't know the difference between the two. The only off-roading I do is at the beach. I don't tow anything and the only hauling I do is fishing or dive gear. Since Passenger tires seem to be $5 to $10 less per tire than the Light Truck equivalents, would it be okay to go with P's or am I missing something? Thanx.

82 Scrambler

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif We just went through this same thing, and basically, the LT rubber is a thicker sidewall and less flexible. The load range is higher. I wouldn't use them on a SWB Jeep unless there were some extenuating circumstances, the P radials will simply work better for you in nearly all conditions. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Dave . A CJ is light and can get along with the the P's.
You get even into the J trucks and then the LT start to look good.
Jest MHO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the full-size trucks come standard with "P" rated tires these days, unless you're getting at least a heavy 3/4 ton truck. I'd ditch 'em right away on a full-size, but they're heavier & I use mine to tow. For a Scrambler, you'd be fine with the passenger tires, although if you move up to a larger non-metric size, you won't find "P" rated tires.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.