Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Matt....are you SURE the guy said BROACH??? Boy....that goes wayyy back. A broach is a machine that you could set up to brush your teeth for you if you leaned over it and had the toothbruse chucked in the holder. It goes up and down. A SHAPER can brush your teeth with your looking straight ahead if you chucked the brush in the holder. BOTH can cut splines. The broach cuts inside splines and the shaper cuts outside splines. I'm not sure how to set up the indexing head in the broach...not exactly anyway.... Both of these machines are essential for gun making, the receiver portion.......just thought I'd mention it. NOWADAYS.....most splines are cut on a Bridgeport. The main reason; besides the opportunity to get BRIDGEPORT FINGER; is that it is easier to use. Man...those shapers are SCARY! I had one that was a an old overhead-drive conversion, and it always made me nervous. I was afraid it would hang up the tool and........well it would be scary./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.