Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... FINALLY! heading out - hopefully - tomorrow to pick up that Utah-sited, 401-powered J-10. I'll have my three (3) oldest boys w/ me.

Hoping to pickup some Space-A seats out of Andrews AFB into Colorado Spgs, and then catch another ride to SLC... or, if no flts available, rent a car and putz over the mts.

IF I can get to SLC/Provo, UT by Tues, I can meet up w/ LEVE for a rootbeer float. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Once w/ truck in possession, I will do the TFI 'Team Rush' ignition upgrade. From 'there' we hit the road for 'parts north'...

Intended Itinerary: We'll 1st head north to Yellowstone-area for a ??? days. Then from Yellowstone SE to Cheyenne (WY); back north up to Mt Rushmore-area, shoot across SD to Minn., MN-area (got a line on a 'in-the-crate' Mopar-rebuilt 258 there), then down to mom's in NW OH where I intend to hook-up to my 'trail' Scrambler to bring back here. After a day or two visitin' 'home', we'll take the long way back to Virginny via IN (p-u 60/40 Jeep seat), KY (stop by state employment office to drop off appl), TN (check-out - & maybe buy - a cheap AMC/CJ/V-8 FlowMaster-equipped exhaust setup); then to NC (P-U more parts); and then home to momma - hopefully about the 31st or thereabouts.

Anyone along our general route, pls post up and/or e-mail ([email protected]) some contact info and we will endeavor to stop and say 'hi'... as time permits. As well, it'd be nice to know where there are 'places of refuge' in case we have any mechanical issues along the way.

Really looking forward to spending some great time w/ my boys, driving some classic American iron across our great country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif , and meeting as many of you as possible along the way! But for the major hit the fuel costs are going to inflict, this trip holds the potential to be a fantastic and greatly-needed vacation for us.

I also welcome any suggestions for good sidetrips/places to see/check-out along our route.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Jerry, If you get through indiana and want to Hook up, 812-756-2089... Good luck, Write the number down just in case you need some help around these parts!!

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Re: OTCross-Country Trip: SLC->WY->SD->MN->OH->TN-

You're apparently going to be too far north to pass through my area, but it sounds like a terrific trip. Be safe. Write if you find work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Good to have you out west! Be carefull, you may not want to leave!

If you are going from Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore, why not drive straigt across WY, say through Gillette to save gas? Just a thought. But, if you still go to Chyenne, slip east about an hour and visit the 'World Famous' Cabella's store in Sidney Ne. Even if you don't buy anything, seeing all the animal mounts is worth the trip. Then you can take Rt. 385 straight into Rapid City SD (well untill Hot Springs, then you get on hwy 79). Stop off in Alliance, (Rt 385/hwy 2 about 70 mile N of Sidney) and I'll show you Carhenge. They have an old Willie's PU there.

What day do you plan to be in Rapid? Our club is having our pre - DTC runs this weekend. I wasn't planning on heading up, but maybe I can sneak up there on Sunday (8/28).

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Check that. Turn at Hot Springs SD and go through Custer State park. You should be able to see some Buffalo there and some pretty praire scenary.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: OTCross-Country Trip: SLC->WY->SD->MN

I'm in the Canton, Oh area. If you run into any trouble, don't hesitate to give me a shout. God forbid you should have any mechanical trouble, but I've got the necessary "rescue" gear. IOW, before you call a tow truck, call me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Check your PM)

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

Custer State Park is really cool, and thats my memories from more than 10 years past. I was a kid when I went through there with my family in our 25ft RV and I've since remembered that trip well. Honestly I think Cheyenne is a boring town, especially now that the rodeo is over. But you're not too far from where I spent my summer in Estes Park, CO. And if you hit up Estes you can go into Rocky Mtn. National Park and drive to the top of the highest continually paved road in North America, which goes over 12k feet. Its a beautiful drive, and the tourists season is over there so it won't be too crowded.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

If you find yourself in southern (Evansville, IN., south western) Indiana, let me know, and I'll buy you lunch at Hooters.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
if you swing by NC (triad area, winston-salem, high point, g'boro) let me know id like to meet up and share a beer or soft drink

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
if you swing by NC (triad area, winston-salem, high point, g'boro) let me know id like to meet up and share a beer or soft drink

[/ QUOTE ]

for that matter there's quite a few of us in Winston! 336-416-5612

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

As Rio said, if you make it into S.E. Indiana, we'd all love to meet you.
We can throw some burgers on the grill, and get as many Hoosier board members as are available to gather around and BS. Kathy and I can put you and the boys up for the night if you need a place to crash.
I'm in Greensburg, right in the middle of Indy, Cincy, and Louisville. So if you have any problems inside that circle, DO NOT HESITATE to call.
I'll PM you the number.
Hope you can make it our way.
Have a great/safe trip.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts

Jerry, you better know your darn welcome at my house. (and you will be right here for all logistics) Would love to see the boys and a fire with food is all I can offer with shelter.
Sounds like a fun trip.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks all - we'll do our very best to swing by as many folks as we can. Looking at timeline, we are going to be more crunched for time than I had initially though/hoped. (Now there's a rare event, eh?!)

Taking off in a few hours for SLC outa Baltimore. Hope to have had a rootbeer float w/ LEVE by this time tomorrow.

Pls keep trip suggestions, etc. coming! And, many thanks to all who have provided contact info.

I'll post again when I have access to a 'puter.

Bobcat: Pls PM or e-mail your contact info - we will definitely be through/stopping at Frankfurt to drop off KY state job appl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts