Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old computer running Windows 98 that I want to connect to my LAN on which all the other machines are running Windows 2000. Anybody know how well this will work? Anybody know how to set up the 98 machine? I'd just put W2K on it but doubt that it has enough speed or RAM to run it very well.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Jim, it depends on what you want to do with it, do you want the 98 to interact and share files with the 2000 pcs? Or do you just want to share the internet access with the 98 box?

I assume this is for your house, not work. Describe what you have:
DSL or Cable.
Do you have a router? I.E. how are the other 200 machines hooked up to the LAN?

Let me see a Ipconfig output:
Go to your 2000 machine that you use to get on ORC, click start then choose run, type "cmd" and hit enter.
In the DOS box that opens, type "ipconfig /all" ,hit enter.
In the upper left of the DOS window you typed in is a little icon looks like "C:\" click on it, choose "edit" and choose "Mark" now you can copy out of the dos box, so highlight all the results of "ipcofig /all" with your mouse, hit the enter key. Now paste your results on here so I can see it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, I need to share files, printers and internet access. I have a D-Link wired router with a couple of free ports.

The IPCONFIG produces an output screen, but it immediately disappears - way to fast to read it. IPCONFIG/ALL won't run - it puts up an error message that it can't find it or one of its components. Same result on all 200 computers, all running W2K. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But 'ipconfig(space)/all' produces a window that immediately disappears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
It will be pretty easy, no worries.
1st: If you run Ipconfig in the run, yes it dissapears. You need a Dos window open to see the output. Run "cmd" and hit enter to see the pretty black box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ipconfig(space)/all! as in "ipconfig /all" windows does not untderstand "ipconfig/all"

let me see the output and I will tell you the "rest of the story"

·
Registered
96 Posts
It depends on how your W2K boxes are set up. If they use NTFS partitions, the 98 machine won't be able to see them. I think there is a utility that is supposed to allow 98 to see NTFS, but I don't have any experience with it. When Microsoft went from DOS based to the newer versions, they decided to try to force everyone off of 95,96, and ME.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. The W98 machine is FAT 32. All of the W2K machines are NTFS. But I could create a FAT32 partition on one of them for moving files back and forth. Or just use the W2K machines for moving files either way.

Any idea about sharing printers that are on the W2K machines?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm not a pro like Thor, but at the shop we have one old PC running '98, and the rest are either XP or 2K pro edition. They are all connected and share files and printers just fine.
The only issue with ours is that the '98 box is only 10-T, and if it's assigned to the same workgroup as the rest it bogs the whole network down. We just leave it in it's own workgroup as it isn't used too often anymore.
Our backup system even uses...... whatever the linyx file system is called, most are NTFS, and the 98 is FAT-32. No communication problems.
I'd suggest assigning the old box an IP address, instead of auto-assigning it one, and as I said, not keep it on the primary workgroup. Other than that, I really don't see why you'd have any problems.
If you are, feel free to give me a ring. I'm sure we could work through it pretty quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest assigning the old box an IP address,

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope Kathy doesn't read that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my next project is stringing a cable to it. It's on the far end of the house, and it's going to take some doing to get there. At least I know it can work, so that makes it worth while to do the cabling.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
The granddaughter is watching a Blue’s Clues DVD so I’ve got a couple of minutes.

I also have my LAN with my old Win98 machine in the granddaughter’s room, my XP desktop, my XP laptop, one running XP pro, and a Win2000 that is my server with currently over a terabyte in drives connected to it alone.

The NTFS/Fat32 thing is not a problem although Fat32 has a file size limit of about 2gb. I’ve never tried playing one of my 4gb and larger videos on the 98 machine.

You might think about wireless. I bought a wireless router from eCost.com for $6 after rebate. With a 98 machine you probably have the 2.1 compatable buss rather than the 2.2 compatible, I did. I bought a USB wireless adapter also from eCost and a USB 2.0 PCI card from USBGeek.com. Shipping from eCost is about $8 minimum so get it all at once. Shipping from USBGeek is $3 no matter how much or how little you order. I just plugged the stuff in, set up the router and it worked.

Win98 is a little more problem to set up a network drive, it doesn’t have a browse button so you have to type the information in by hand. I just went to another machine, hit the browse button, cut and pasted the drive ID into a file, save it to a USB drive, took it to the 98 machine and just pasted the information in.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 98 machine doesn't have a USB port. Can you say "ancient" class?

And wireless isn't a good choice in this place. There are three concrete block walls between the router and the 98 machine. I've never been able to make a cordless phone work between the cells of the house. I doubt that a wireless router would work. My guess is that they probably run on the 900 mhz band, same as cordless phones.

I have the wired system, and used to have the cable over to that part of the house. Just have to pull some return air grills and do it.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The 98 machine doesn't have a USB port. Can you say "ancient" class?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine had USB but not the 2.0, I bought a USB 2.0 card from USBGeek.com so the USB adapter would work.

I think the freq is 802.11.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Are you tryign to get the IP info on the Win98 box? If so try Winipcfg on that machine to get the LAN information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

802.11 is the IEEE identifier for the connection type.

Actually, the frequency is 2.4xx ghz, the last two digits dependant on the channel you operate on. 2.412ghz is channel 1, 2.417 is channel 2, and so in in .005 ghz increments.

That said, however, it's not so much the band as the antenna strength, which is miniscule at best, given that most 802.11 devices are made for portability, not preventing signal attenuation.

I'll turn off the robot living between my ears now.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

802.11 is the IEEE identifier for the connection type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you said it, it kicked in the memory.

I only dealt with buying the parts and setting it up the one time and that was about 6 months ago. I know that I did a lot of reading and asking questions of my IT friend but it all paid off, worked first time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I only dealt with buying the parts and setting it up the one time and that was about 6 months ago. I know that I did a lot of reading and asking questions of my IT friend but it all paid off, worked first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky... I have to put up with it all the time. Now I at least get to 'recalibrate' faulty components with an 18 lb. sledge instead of tech support.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Ok, you are running DHCP so, have you plugged in your 98 box on the network yet? Can it see the internet (Browser)? If not:
1. Plug it in, look for lights on the network card. No lights= bad cable.
2. Type "winipcfg" in the run for the 98. The ip address should be 192.168.0.x
on the network card, not "ppp adapter" - that is a dialup.
3. if the above 2 work, but you can still not access the internet, type cmd in the run for 98, in the window type "Ping 192.168.0.1", then type "ping www.yahoo.com", let me know what it says (don't need a print screen).

BTW: a 98 will access a shared NTFS and vice-versa. It just wont read a directly attached HDD.

Sorry for the delay, was out shooting my Walther P99 this AM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Scott. I haven't run the cable yet. That may be a few days. I'll let you know what happens. I've got MAC addresses filtered in the router, so I'll have to set that up first.

Hope you had fun with your popgun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts