Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm starting to plann a vacation for the summer of 2008 (going to AK in 2007).

It's going to be a off-road themed vacation.

My current thought (based on my wifes direction ) is to find a cabin/condo/house to rent and use it as a "base camp" for the week.

I'm looking at the Rockies...

I've been to Colorado and done some riding in the Idaho Springs area and loved it. So I might like to get back there...but mostly cuz I like to go with things I know about. So I'm not stuck on that location...maybe further on I70...Vail/Eagle area? Or maybe someplace in Wyoming or Idaho?

Could you please enlighten me as to some other good choices?

Some additional background info:
Will be myself, my wife, our two kids who will be 3 and 4 years old and possible some immediate family (parents).

As an off-roader, I'm not into the extreme rock crawling...just tooling down/up some mountain roads to locations that a mostly stock Jeep can get to (I've got a CJ7 with a 6 sitting on 33"...but not much besides that...and enjoying the scenery and occasional mild off-road driving challenge.

We'll be driving from Wisconsin (or at least I will be as I'm bringing the Jeep)

Would like to have that base location to have some other things to do besides off-roading...swimming, hot springs, hiking, etc, etc, etc that can entertain us as well...

So anyway...at this point I'm just looking for locations and the pluses and minuses for them...

Thanks for any input...

Patrick

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
One word:

Moab!

I did this trip last year in reverse, from Utah to Wisconsin. It was one of the most scenic trips I've ever been on... too bad it couldn't have been in the Jeep.

Otherwise, another good trip is over the Windriver Mountain Range in Wyoming. It's some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever behold... and you can then tip over to Yellowstone and back up via the Sawtooth Mountains to I-90 and back home to Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Been about 6 years since I've been out there, and I'm not sure how far this is from you, but for Colorado, try Ouray and Telluride. Imogene pass is a great trail, and will take you over the mountains between Ouray and Telluride. Both are nice towns, and should have various activities. Very good offroad destinations.

Just my $0.02
Pete

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Don't know if you get this or not but here is a link with some info about trails, listed state by state. You can wander around the site for other info. And sign up for monthly e-mail (mostly commerical stuff) if you want more junk mail.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/campertents/a/campingtrails.htm

Rockin On

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.