Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I was out of town most of the time in beautiful windy, rainy, cold, hot Wichita KS.....which is why I got very little done to my jeep....

We installed at the old Boeing plant (now Spirit) and 30' x 70' autoclave that will be used to build the new 787 Dreamliner...basically, the same size as a Boeing 767...but all carbon fiber composite....

This pic is of a test tool going in...to give you and idea of size, it's 30' from side to side...INSIDE the autoclave....

This view is from the side....note the guy in the middle on a ladder....you have to look close....yea...it's big...the contraption in the rear is the combustion chamber...puts out 60 million BTU...this beast has two 600HP motors to circulate the air....at full power it's using almost 3000 Amps of 440Vac 3ph.

Lets see the UPS or Fed-x guy lift this....

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
thats cool!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif so the airframe on the dreamliner is all 100% carbon fiber? or just the skin and there is still metal in there?

eitherway...its just plain cool....i dig big machinery and equipment!

that first picture looks like something out fo the stargate movies/tv series though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I want a carbon fiber Jeep Tub, grill, hood, hard top, fenders, dash, frame, and the list could go on and on...

That thing is so cool! I'd love to play with it for a few weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be more exact.....

Wikipedia Def

In my case, we make them for the aerospace industry for curing composite parts...
Process is similar to how fiberglass is done...except, carbon fiber resine does not have a catalyst in it...rather the fiber is impregnated with the resin...
The carbon fiber cloth is layed up on a too (form)...covered with a plastic that looks like food wrape...T/C's hooked up...vacuum lines connected to suck the part down to the tool (holds the shape and pulls off the gases)...

You then close the door and apply heat and pressure....but a little bit more complicated than cooking a cake...the temp has to be incresed at a set rate to a certain point...held there for a while (several hours)...increased again to the final cure temp (say, 350 deg F) and held there again for several hours....typical temp control is +/- 5 deg....

Visit our site TEC for more info....

I design the control systems...in the above clave, it uses 6 PLC's distributed around the clave...measures over 80 thermocouples and 80 vacuum/pressure transduces.....I can program in 5 different languages...and 4 different PLC languages...one of the reasons I have trouble typing good English......"SpeelAbility := Poor"....

So, if you hear me talking about electronics....there is a real good chance I know what I'm talking about.....

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I was out of town most of the time in beautiful windy, rainy, cold, hot Wichita KS.....

[/ QUOTE ]
You should have said so before you went, I'd have warned you not to drink the water.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts