Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got a dumb questio. Took my DD (2001 Honda Accord) in to have some work done. The dealer says the rotors aren't covered under warranty (regardless of the fact that pads are fine). He quotes me $105 to turn all four. After picking my jaw up off the floor, I tell him I can get it done for $10/rotor at my local shop. Bubba says that Honda requires the rotors to be turned on the vehicle.

My question: Why turn them on the vehicle? Why is that better?

Thanks...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly good reason to make the jeep your daily driver!

Actually the Rotors are press on rotors that require special tooling to remove and replace. Dont you feel better now!

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
If the pads are fine why is he wanting to turn the rotors, other than to make $$$?

If he thinks they're warped, I'd say manufacturers defect. What's the mileage?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Adam, I would drive my CJ daily, but have ya ever BEEN stuck on 285 without A/C? That makes sense.

Taz, I told him to turn the rotors, they were warped (i.e. violent shake when braking at high-speeds). I'm one of those dangerous people, I know how things SHOULD work and the big picture fix, but I don't know the details behind some of this new-fangled technology.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Hey Herb, here's a little personal history to ponder. '86 Accord Lxi had that same shimmy, so I R&R'd the front brakes. $45 to have the rotors turned. WTF
? I used to do it when I worked at a service station for $10 a pop. Anyway, next time the brakes needed service, I checked at the local "Zone". Only $13 each for new rotors! Haven't had them turned again any vehicle since. YMMV

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I'd have him run a dial indicator on them to find out if they're warped. If they are, I'd say warranty would cover it. If the warranty won't allow them to be turned, then they have to REPLACE them under warranty.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The reason the rotors must be turned on the car is because some genius at the Honda development facility decided it would be a great idea to bolt the rotor to the BACK of the hub. This means that in order to remove the rotors you must press the hub out, which usually destroys the bearing.
Go to any larger brake shop(Pep Boys, Mieneke, Midas,etc.) and they can turn them cheaper. If you are fighting a shimmie in the steering wheel during brakeing, you only need the front turned. If it is felt in the pedal, you can check to see if it is the rears by driving at the speed it occurs at and LIGHTLY applying the park brake. This activates the rear brakes only by mechanical means. If it shakes only with the park brake, it is the rears.
Oh ya, it is usually a good idea to replace the brake pads any time you machine rotors due to the different smoothness between the old pad and new rotor face not giveing as good contact surface. In the same line, its a good idea to resurface rotors when replacing pads for the same reason.

Hope this helps......

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
In reply to:

… because some genius at the Honda development facility decided it would be a great idea to bolt the rotor to the BACK of the hub
I think I've seen that done on something else.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What would it take to just replace the offending rotor(s)?

My usual frustration is that about 5,000 mi after I turn rotors, they are even worse than before. I just decided it was better to buy new ones if I could.

Best of luck

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.