Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to hook up a tranny cooler to my dads chevy z71... ive heard you can either completely disconnect the tranny from the stock radiator and use the cooler in place of it, or you can run the cooler after the radiator... which would ya'll do? how much trouble is it to do either one?

thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would seperate it myself. THat way the heat from the tranny fluid isnt being introduced to your radiator at all. Not that it will effect your water temp THAT much, but every little bit helps.

Jim

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i posted it on the chevy board first, but figured it couldnt hurt to put it on this board either...

toy - that is kind of what i was thinking, my only worry is - will it be enough to keep the tranny cool?

thats actually one of the reasons for doing it... the truck has begun to run warm during stop and go traffic, so the thinking is is that by removing the tranny heat, it will run a little cooler... the plan is to put the tranny cooler on one side of the radiator, and an electric fan on the other side... hopefully that will solve the problem

·
Registered
572 Posts
it won't solve the problem, it will only be a bandaid solution. If you havn't done anything to the truck, and it is starting to heat up, there is a problem with the cooling system not the tranny. Fix the cooling problem before you work on the tranny cooler.

Once you have solved the heating problem , then you can move the cooler to the inside of the rad. I would keep the in tank unit as well. It can't hurt. Just run an extra cooler.

The comment about not droping the water temperature is false. Auto tranny add huge to water temperature!!!!!!!!!
If you can go with an auxilery cooler with a seperate fan, do it.it will drop the temp 10 degrees.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mudlite took the words right out of my mouth. Youve got a heating problem you need to address first with the radiator.

Is your radiator clean of debris? Take a water house and back wash the radiator from the engine compartment, or better yet, pull the radiator and back flush the cooling fins being careful to not bend any of them over. Are you running a clutch fan, or flex fan? Stop and go traffic greatly relies on the fan and shroud. Does the shroud only cover half of the blade of the fan? Ive seen shrouds that have the fan completly inside of them, and this causes the air being pulled thru the radiator to stall inside the shroud. Of course if your radiator has internal problems, its got to be fixed, or replaced.

A shroud should cover half of the pitch of the fan. Looking down, you should be able to see half of the fan inside, and half sticking outside of the shroud.

We run our tranny coolers seperate from our radiators to keep the heat from being introduced to the radiator at all. They have their seperate location alltogether.

Hope some of that helps.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.