Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've owned 2 Ford Trucks with the 300, and it is probably my all time favorite engine. My '78 had 3.50 finals, and could find itself a bit short on power on hills. My '76 had 4.10s, and I didn't notice hills!

That said, Clifford Performance is definitely who you want to go through. I've dealt with them before, and they've always treated me right. Since you've already got fuel injection, I'd start by seeing if they make a "chip" for it, and maybe a larger MAF sensor (I'm not a FI guru--all my 300s had carbs!). Free-flowing exhuast, of course, and if you are really serious, Clifford has some nice cams--I particularly like the RV cam--for the 300. They have some superchargers too, but that gets expensive in a hurry!

This may sound weird, but I know a couple of guys who pulled bigger engines out (one was a 460) to go the the 300. Probably the best engine Ford ever built.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Actually, with a little work, I think a 300 could be shoe-horned into a CJ, at least a '72 or newer. We dropped a chevy 292 in a guys FJ40 once, and that is about the same physical size engine as the 300. That wasn't a bad engine either after we got done with all the nifty toys from Clifford! Split headers on an inline six sounds NICE!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.