Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've owned 3 Fords with the 4.9ltr 300 6cylinder, and as you already know (they were bone stock, and I never did a thing to them other than the typical prev. main.), its a bulletproof engine.

Mine were all geared for highway ust as yours sounds to be....i'm assuming that you probably have no lower than a 3:50 something gear and most likely more along the line of the 2:70's.

If you are going to be towing a load, I would definately consider re-gearing to get that ummph you need to get up and over the hills and to pull comfortably...

As for performance, I never really liked headers, but thats just a personal preference, I have alot of friends that swear by them....

I haven't really ever checked on performance parts for a Ford 4.9ltr, but I would assume they have the cat backs, raid systems, and typical fuel injection performance mods, chips, etc. that would give you better air flow through your engine... that would probably knock you up at least 10hp???

Between getting more airflow in your engine and the re-gearing it should make alot of difference.....another thing to consider would be to upgrade the ignition system to a good MSD or similar (hey, do a TR upgrade /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif), those usually will give you better performance as well.

I'm sure TR will have some really good advice for you, I'm just taking my shot at it /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, he'll correct anything I got wrong /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.....

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.