Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you are actually planning to watch it. Personally I think pro sports as a whole just plain suck, a bunch of overpaid crybabies doing something that is totally irrelevant and has no meaning to anything. Good day to go wheeling or hiking or whatever, most people will be glued to that (IMO) stupidity.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Couldn`t agree with ya more Brad ! I used to enjoy Hockey until they(players) started getting 10`s of millions per season (and then they still whine). Here it costs about 80 bucks PER ticket for a mediocre seat if you go watch it in person . $crew that !

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I just can not hold myself back from this OT. IMHO professional sports are nothing more than pariahs upon society.

They take millions of dollars our of circulation in a local area that could be better used generating more value and give little back to the community. Then they have the gall to ask Joe-six-pack to build them stadiums when they can't, or won't, control their costs.

Heads you loose, tails you loose…

To heck with 'em all… go to a good Little League game and hopefully see Sportsmanship, not a bunch of over paid spoiled brats who pretend to be men. It is they who walk upright on two legs.

Spend your money on your Wife, Kids and Jeeps (I'll let you figure the order, this is mine!)…that's where it belongs. At least they all love you. Try to get that out of professional sports franchise or their players.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im rooting for the Pats... local for MA people :) Bledsoe is a bum :)

Hall

i like jeeps... i've had my share of them :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love you guys.. you are the only people on the planet that have the same views as me.. I am looked at as an outcast at work b/c I do not enjoy and watch pro sports..

4in currie lift, 4.56's, true trac, and 33's.. yeah it's a start!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Most of us in this hobby like being outdoors. so the appeal of sitting inside and watching the 'stupor bowl' just doesn't grab us. I haven't watched a full game of football in almost 9 years and I don't miss it.
While I probably won't get to wheel this weekend, I will defently not be sitting and waiting to see the britney spears commerical. oh wait, that might be trying to watch for, oh well.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Now Brad,....you KNOW how important this BIG "Game" is.....and the key word is "game", because it IS just a game. Those folks don't raise any food or fiber, produce any oil or gas, or supply clean water to a thirsty world. What they DO is suck MONEY out of the dumbed-down population who are SO bored and SO unsatisfied with their crummy little lives that they have to have this distraction that is called professional sports./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I wouldn't cross the street to watch a pro football game, let alone invest what most sports fans do; BUT when it comes to auto racing, well...heh heh heh...that's DIFFERENT! /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gifHeh heh heh.....Brad, we ALL have to be Poco Loco about somethin' or we end up whacked out and shootin'up the workplace./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Is the Stupor bowl and the HYPE nuts? Yes? Is taking a perfectly good Jeep into the rocks and blowing out the rear differential crazy? Yep!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Let's face it Brad; if a man from Mars dropped in and you had to explain everything to him and make it logical, it would be tough. Like H8's Jeep is "sensibly altered for occasional off-road use"; uh-huh./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Toyatic

Dido at my workplace . ALL sports freaks , thats all I hear all day . " Hey did ya watch the game last night?"
Wheel On Dude !!

Britney Spears you say ? Well ah ... na , I`ll catch her skimpy little butt show on some website later, I`m going fishing tomorrow . Just bought a brand new rod and reel so I`m dying to test it out /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just had foot surgery and am supposed to be sitting down with my feet up and I still wont be watching those overpaid meatheads play ball with each other. now if I could just get my wife to let me work on my jeep, well jeep parts, in the house

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is supprising, I think for the most part these guys make a ton of cash. I'm not really sure what the problem with that is. The owners want these guys......pay them more than their worth(A.ROD!) ........and everybody complains.

There are only a handful of guys who are capable of doing what they do, and the rest of us b!tch about it! Is it the athletes fault or the wishful owners/fans?

Think about it.........if your owner said he/she would pay you ten times what your worth........ would you say "NO".
Probably not! My feeling is as with most problems........it's all mismanagement!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edder

'90 YJ, '79 Cherokee, '63 Willys Wagon/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope the Pats /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif beat the other team /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif - whats-their-name?
I have to attend the International Toboggin Races in Camden Maine. A friend and I built a 12'er for the race. He put together some teams and the ladies are close to first place, the guys are much further back in the pack. From this year's Research & Development work we'll design and build a faster toboggin for next year's races. For 10 million I'll be happy to turn Pro. and go on the toboggin racing circuit. How 'bout 1 million? - 1/2 million? - 1/4 million?

I'll have to agree with CJDave. It's hard to knock anothers addiction when I can look out the window and see mine. The wife and I recently spent hours in front of the tube watching the Dakar Rally, even saw a Jeep racing, so I know my addiction is not cured. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Hopefully it never will be!

I do agree that my tax money should not be used to support professional sports. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Then again if I could watch Brad, Jaffer and H8 climb rocks I'd have to re-evaluate my current position. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

PEACE !! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
w

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The Romans had professional sporting events. They had them in the Coliseum. The players were called gladiators. The masses were given free bread to take their minds off the starvation and poor living conditions that prevailed during the decline of the Empire. It was very appealing to their patriotic nature. The lions loved it. On the other hand, the Christians thought it sucked. But it kept the masses happy while the corrupt Senate struggled with the Emporers and generals for power. Lots of pagentry and excitment, you know mental bubblegum, keeps the mind in motion, but not engaged.

Is ANY of this sounding familiar?

He who does not *UNDERSTAND* history is doomed to repeat it.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif And here I thought I was the only one who saw that!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif When I see folks walking around who have NOTHING, zero, nada; and they are wearing a Raiders jacket; well........ it fits the example perfectly!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like watching pro sports now and then but in the last few years things have gotten so glorified that its gotten rediculous (spelling, just woke up). Especially with football, they make a big deal out of everything, I guess if they got back to the old roots of the game it would be better. So I won't be watching the big game. But I will make my annual trip to tiger staduim to watch the yankees, with a big beer in one hand and ball park frank in the other

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm going to have to watch it because my home teams in it! we are 16and 1 so were pretty good! GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!! hope we win!

John/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

'63 Willys/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
usually when i hear people talking about pro sports and using the words"overpaid crybabies" and "whiners" i hear jealosy.if i could run a 4.2 forty i would want several million to play football.i love watching the minnesota vikings play.i have been to their training camp in mankato,i have been to games in minneapolis,travel to indy,detroit,cincinnatti to watch them play.if my girls sunday schedule allows we go to my mom and dad's to watch the games on their dish.my wife did not like football when we got married 19 years ago,but she could see when we were dating that if she loved me she'd have to love the vikes.my kids dress in purple for church on gamedays and have each had a couple of viking cheerleader outfits over the years.we of course think football ends when the vikes are eliminated from the playoffs.....earlier this year than most but i watch the playoff games and wait for next year.i think randy moss is an awesome athlete but not a nice human.i'm glad he's on our team for his abilities.i hope we dont lose cris carter to free agency....i could go on and on.but i bleed purple and i enjoy the game.will i watch you bet!!!will i be wishing it was my team....you bet!!!do i think that they are overpaid......well maybe but if i was in the top 1643 people that did something i want the biggest paycheck the market will allow.(31 teams x 53 players=1643).i will be watching for the britney spears pepsi ad.hey i'm human right?

JEEPRAGE..if it wasn't for bledsoe you would be watching the steelers instead of the pats...lol

"have a nice day"
"if you can't fix it....duct it"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really don't hold a grudge against the players, most of them aren't prima donnas, but there are quite a few that are. And yes, you gotta be crazy not to do something like playing a game and getting paid millions if someone is willing to pay you. The thing I have against pro sports is all the hoopla and glorification it gets, and it is absolutely, totally meaningless and irrelevant. If you want like physical activity, DO IT YOURSELF. Hike, run ,bike, lift weights, I do all of the above myself. There are other types of physical activity, tennis, raquetball, golf (without a cart), etc. But my gripe is 95% of America gets all excited about overpaid athletes competing against one another, and thats thr problem, they are getting excited about it, sitting on their butts watching it, and vicariously living it thru the athletes that don't give a rats ass about any of the "fans". As a society we get way too excited about the unimportant stuff like pro sports, and way to UNDERexcited about the important stuff. You want escapism, and not from the TV while sitting there excercising your elbow, escape into the hills and go wheeling or hiking, or escape into the garage and work on your Jeep. Team loyalty? Why? What are those guys to you? They don't know you, they don't want to know you, and unfortunately most of them feel absolutely none of the "team loyalty" you so strongly feel, they are getting paid by a conglomerate to play, and they will play just as hard if they are playing for the Rams, the Patriots, the Packers, the Bears, whoever. Yeah, I watched pro sports for many years, up until 8 or 9 years ago I was a rabid Bears, Cubs and Bulls fan. Then, thoughts started encroaching upon my "enjoyment", they were thoughts like all of the above. So, no its not jealousy, it really all a matter of what's the point? Enough of this rant, I fully understand that I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and also fully understand that there are a lot of folks that feel the way I do, but a couple million bucks for a 30 second commercial? Oh well, the good thing is its actually .1mil. less than last year!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'm from the "Great White North" and I'm with the majority of posters on this one. Hockey used to be our unofficial national sport, we had the Jets as our WHA team, later NHL. The local tycoons who owned them pissed and whined about losing money, begged for taxpayers to build a new arena so that it could be given to them, wanted the City to charge them no taxes, and finally sold the Jets franchise to you yanks, having moved ownership through corporations off-shore, and reaped a tax free profit, despite having used public contributions to keep their franchise going. Our City is fairly large, around 3/4 of a million, and we can't afford to keep an NHL team going. Pro Sports have litte relevance to the common man, seem only to contribute to greedy ideals. Me, I'd rather spend that time putting some effort and money into my own body and getting some exercise, so I can enjoy life. Sour grapes? Sure they are the steroid induced, coke snorting elite, but I'm not jelous. For what profit a man if he gain the whole world, but lose his soul in the process?

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

·
Registered
276 Posts
ducmon900 wrote - "But I will make my annual trip to tiger staduim to watch the yankees". Sorry Ken, the Tigers play at "Comerica Park" now, not Tiger Stadium. BTY - here is another example of wasted taxpayer money on sports. They build a new ballpark (Comerica Park) and leave a perfectly good ballpark (Tiger Stadium) sit empty. And to add insult to injury, the Tigers are playing like crap!

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Duct tape, WD-40, and a BFH, what else do you need?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts