Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
yea i heard of that guy.....his website is lame and doesnt give any sort of details as to what he's doing or how it might work.......which re-enforces my belief that this is bogus

rumor has it that its actually a crazy viral marketing scam for the next HALO video game. they did something really random for the last one....similar in a dissimilar kind of way

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Good source of background info

wikipedia

Want to buy my 99MPG carborator?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the goverment bought them all and destroyed them??!?!?!?!?!?!

my neighbor's uncle's vetrinarian said......

do a google search for "steorn halo 3"

wikipedia is great...except that anyone can make an entry....thier stuff looks bogus......im stickign to the HALO 3 theory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I agree, this is probably bogus, but I also heard some guy a few days ago.(I didn't catch his name) On some news program, claiming he believed he could mass produce biodiesel for about $35.00 a barrel.

Whatever direction we take in producing a alternative fuel source, I sure hope it takes place soon. I'd like to live to see the day all that oil in the Middle East, means nothing to us.

And all those people over there, couldn't give the stuff away.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever direction we take in producing a alternative fuel source, I sure hope it takes place soon. I'd like to live to see the day all that oil in the Middle East, means nothing to us.

And all those people over there, couldn't give the stuff away.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, seeing as (with todays technology) there's only 30 years of dino juice left that we can tap, most of us will see the end of oil from the Middle East and the rest of the world.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
well, seeing as (with todays technology) there's only 30 years of dino juice left that we can tap, most of us will see the end of oil from the Middle East and the rest of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

that may not be the case...
theres a growing number of experts that think that oil is not actually Dino-juice, as previously thought,....rather the by-product of natural geological processes ....and are actualy self replenishing.

the whole "running out of oil" thing was something to stir up some supply and demand pricing by reducing the supply.

do i know which side to believe? nah...i dont know much about geology.... but i've never been worried about it "running out"....and perticularly dont buy the 30 year estimate, especially with the amount of untapped reserves we still have, but cant drill because of hippies! ........blame greenies for high oil prices!

new energy sources would be neat though....always thought it'd be cool if we had the equivalent to a recycling bin for biological-type waste....food scraps, potato peels, apple cores etc........and all that would be gathered and mixed with corn husks from agriculture and dead leaves in the fall....and anywhere else we can get stuff.......and we could turn it all into biofuel of some sort.......i think its possible *shrug* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Be it dino remains or not, I won't dispute. I don't care what it's actually from, but the fact that with toadys technology with how we aquire the oil, we only have about 30 years remaining, and that's no marketing deal to drive up costs.

Not to pull a "My Daddy said....." But look up the Enginering Firm Worley-Parsons.. actually here The Sixth Guy on the list is My Step Dad. We got into a discussion recently about Oil and other Fuels, He was telling my brother and I that with todays technology (i.e. unless we find another way to extract it) there's 30 years of oil left for use. and as Senior Vice of one of the Worlds largest Engineering Firms, It's his business to know what the story is.

Agian, I'm trying to make this a My Daddy is stronger than your Daddy, just giving my source for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brent, that's a impressive source, but I still hope to see the day, we can tell the Middle East we don't need their stinking oil.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Brent, that's a impressive source, but I still hope to see the day, we can tell the Middle East we don't need their stinking oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! don't get me wrong, ME TOO! Don't know that it'll make your dream come true, but Canada came to Worley Parsons and asked them to do the $7billion plant that's gonna tap one of the largest remaining oil Fields. They didn't even have the Project bid form other companies, Parsons said ya, we're busy, but if you want us we'll be over here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Parsons is so damn busy right now they can't keep up. If anyone here is an engineer looking to get into that field of engineering, check with Worley Parsons! Heck my Step brother did and he's on their Project in Kasakstan. Hates the place, but it's a damn good job. He's trying for a transfer to Singapore after this project. Wants to go defrost for awhile I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Unless our government messes it up, diminishing supplies of crude will increase the price of crude. Automatically.

As that happens, unless our government messes it up, prices of petroleum derivatives will rise. Automatically.

As that happens, unless our government messes it up, we will decrease our usage. Automatically.

As that happens, unless our government messes it up, the "All gone, dummy!" date will move farther out. Automatically.

Meanwhile, as all that happens, unless our government messes it up, alternatives will become available. Automatically.

Along the way there will certainly be ups and downs in supplies, usage and prices, as there have been for decades - there were shortages and rationing during WW II - but in the long run, all that will happen. Automatically. Unless our government messes it up.

The projections that we will run out of oil in some number of years are based on current usage or projected future usage based on current trends. They're useful for some purposes, but there's no guarantee that they're going to turn out to be accurate.

A century ago there were projections that within a few years there would be horse nuggets ten feet deep in the streets of New York City. By now they must be 150 feet deep.

When I started driving in the early sixties there were projections that we would run out of oil in twenty years. That should have happened more than twenty years ago.

Instead, oil companies saw an opportunity to make a profit, so they explored and developed new fields, and developed methods to get more out of existing fields, and developed technology to tap previously unuseable fields.

At some point there will no longer be new fields to discover and develop, and no way to wring more oil out of old fields. As that point approaches, alternatives will become available. Automatically. If our government doesn't mess it up.

People adjust their practices in light of changing conditions. Automatically. That includes choosing transportation with fuel cost as a factor, and investing in energy research in proportion to the likelihood of realizing a good return.

What, ME worry? No more than I worry about road apples on the streets of the Big Apple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim...I get the impression...you think our government messes up alot!?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Surely you jest!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The projections that we will run out of oil in some number of years are based on current usage or projected future usage based on current trends. They're useful for some purposes, but there's no guarantee that they're going to turn out to be accurate.

When I started driving in the early sixties there were projections that we would run out of oil in twenty years. That should have happened more than twenty years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, Note the phrase I used several times, to make sure I rammed hat home with the readers; "with Todays Technology". It's something that I took note of in his statement. To many times he burned me with "But you said..." "No, I said..." DOH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Another thing we talked about that I brought up was BioDeisel. Now if I'm recalling the conversation corrrectly, he basically said don't put too much faith in it to be the next fuel. It's too costly to produce. He agreed it was a great idea and had merit, but the $'s for production just didn't condone it. At least not in todays market I guess.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
And the key phrase in your latest post: "At least not in todays market I guess."

At some point, price and technology will make BioDiesel financally feasible, unless something better comes along first. And if our government doesn't mess it up.

And yes, I DO think our government messes up a lot. After all, they encourage construction in flood plains by subsidizing flood insurance and levee construction, and then subsidize the reconstruction after the flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

They send money to mothers only if they don't have a man living with them, and then spend money to promote programs to reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock births. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyone have another example, class?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seems to me we have gotten to this point in history automatically as a result of various "governments" messing things up. Now things are so messed up, unless "governments" continue to mess things up in just the right way, we, meaning western civilization’s, particularly America’s, way of life, are doomed, automatically. Most people don't realize just how fragile this thing we call civilization is. They are in for a rude awakening. Personally I have no faith in the "governments" doing anything right. They seem to be getting worse, not better. If they stay out of things mega corporations will run civilization into the ground a little faster than they are doing it now. If they keep going down the road we’re on, it’ll be a Holy WWIII to see who gets the remaining oil. Oh well! 'Cest la vie!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Well, Jim, I agree with your "automatically" theory to a certain extent. This goes under the assumption that "we" crack the energy nut as we know it. Mr. Fusion ...that clown's subspace energy extractor ..or some other "black box" is going to take us to the promised land.

Everything works well when you don't have 6.5 billion people and climbing. The dilution factor always seems to escape most.

What if we don't crack that nut? What's going to happen? I personally found the fact that the dark ages could actually occur to an advanced society ..that watched itself decay into nothing over hundreds of years, an unbelievable event. I think that we could easily beat that with the level of our hopelessly interconnected dependencies and how it all requires massive amounts of energy.

I couple of good plagues or global level wars would set things back on an even keel. What's left over may not be much good ..but you can't have everything.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
We may end up back with horses and buggies.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
We may end up back with horses and buggies.

[/ QUOTE ]

my new trail rig has 4-legged drive! no real low range though. 1 horse power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts