Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I remember as akid growing up in Florida when the Shutttles were first launched, we'd get to leave the class rooms, walk out to the sports fields and we could see the shuttle climbing up into the sky. That was from the West coast of Florida too! Always got a kick out of that when I was little... sure would like to go watch it again! Up close!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
yep we turned on the tele at work and watched it launch, was cool watching till the little camera burned up attached to the fuel cell. You would think that would have been attached to the shuttle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
845 Posts
OK, I gotta say. This is was my first launch, and I got chills! It was absolutely awesome. We stood about as close as you can get (~3 miles)and stood right next to the VAB (giant cube building). The sound just reverberates off the building and literally shakes your clothes like they are blowing in the wind! I never really followed the Shuttle before moving to Florida. But I guess you could say it has grown on me!!

ok enough gloating, but like I said, It was awesome!

shawn

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It is a sight to behold. The lovely jeep Wife spent her High School years just south of the Cape and the In-Laws are still there...It's fun to go out on the beach, have a few refreshing beverages and watch the Titans and the Shuttle's go up.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I caught it on cbs but the dang anouncer would not shut up long enough to hear what nasa had to say, like the anchor person knows as much as nasa. Be a good reporter and shut up not get in the way of the facts!

·
Registered
845 Posts
for the best info, go to www.spaceflightnow.com they are not nearly as negative as the 'usual' media, (more fact, less drama) i don't know where they get their info from, but their "mission status center" is updated unbelievably fast. sounds funny, but we use it here all the time!

shawn

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
They talked about it some on NASA-TV (you can get it on DirecTV). NASA was doing the smart thing and saying that they think they saw something, but, until they had a chance to review the launch tapes in detail, they couldn't tell what it was. There are a lot of paper covers used on the Shuttle and on the boosters that just blow off or burn up on lift off. What was seen falling past a camera could have been some of the paper debris.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
This could be the last one for a while. They announced a few minutes ago that the program is grounded indefinitely.

Story

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
This could be the last one for a while. They announced a few minutes ago that the program is grounded indefinitely.

Story

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that article is referring to the Atlantis mission that was scheduled for September. Not the entire program.

[ QUOTE ]
The loss of a chunk of debris, a vexing problem NASA thought had been fixed, represents a tremendous setback to a space program that has spent 2½ years and over $1 billion trying to make the 20-year-old shuttles safe to fly.

"Until we're ready, we won't go fly again. I don't know when that might be," Parsons told reporters in a briefing Wednesday evening.

Atlantis was supposed to lift off in September, but that mission is now on indefinite hold. Parsons refused to speculate when a shuttle might fly again, but did not rule out the possibility that Discovery's current mission may be the only one for 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Story

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that article is referring to the Atlantis mission that was scheduled for September. Not the entire program.

[ QUOTE ]
The loss of a chunk of debris, a vexing problem NASA thought had been fixed, represents a tremendous setback to a space program that has spent 2½ years and over $1 billion trying to make the 20-year-old shuttles safe to fly.

"Until we're ready, we won't go fly again. I don't know when that might be," Parsons told reporters in a briefing Wednesday evening.

Atlantis was supposed to lift off in September, but that mission is now on indefinite hold. Parsons refused to speculate when a shuttle might fly again, but did not rule out the possibility that Discovery's current mission may be the only one for 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Culled from another thread;

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is this guy talking about?
Anyone care to flog a dead horse??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There's been a fair amount written in the past year or so on NASA in some of the Engineering trade journals -- Machine Design, Design News, etc. -- that NASA has really taken a giant ride to the crapper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Some of it by ex-NASA Engineers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mostly about how NASA is focused more on being a collection of all ethnicities, EOE, that kind of thing, rather than a collection of the best and brightest Engineers and Technicians.

A lot of it came after they crashed one probe into Mars because they forgot to convert kilometers into miles, or whatever it was, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and some of the other more noteable failures of probes and things.

I'm all for equal opportunity, but if I was an Astronut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, I'd want my vehicle designed by the best and brightest, and I don't think I'd care if it were the mandatory 10% women, or a collection of all nationalities.

Sorry, don't have any links to any stories or anything, just a comment.

Pete.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.