Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our desktop has had it. Barely runs anymore and out of memory. I am either going to find a cheap desktop or laptop or ditch our internet. Any recomendattions for used or referbished Laptops? I am too cheap to pay out the dough for a new one!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
We just got our new(refurbished) one from dell it's a XPS...don't know nothin bout these over rated typewriters but it sure works a lot better than the old one from them. If you'd like more info I'm sure I could get it for you.
John

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just bought me one the other day and am typing this post on it. I can't afford the ones I would actually like to have, but after careful consideration, I decided that I didn't want or need one of the full blown fancy smancy ones anyway.

By the time I spent 1500 to 2000 on a full blown one, it would be outdated and behind the curve anyway.

Plus, I don't do alot of video, or programs that require alot of processor or memory.

My last laptop (Compaq 2100 Presario) has lasted me a couple years and been a good laptop, but it was getting up in age, so I decided to upgrade before it crapped out and lost all my work stuff. I just passed the compaq down to my daughter.

I searched around and I decided to give Gateway a try. I got a M320S which so far has been working just fine for me. It has (4) USB ports, network, modem, internal wireless, integrated memory card reader (for the memory cards from cameras, etc.), Intel Celeron M, XP Pro, 512k memory, 40gb hard drive (figured I could get a USB external drive if I needed it cheaper than upgrading this one to a bigger drive), and CD-RW/DVD.

I chose to go this route, because I could finance it through gateway instead of paying out all the cash up front and I think the total was like $849.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Not sure what you concider cheap but have you looked at Dell deals. I love my Inspiron laptop and it was cheap.

Latitude
Inspiron
Dimension Desktops

Oh ,,, hehe no I do not work for Dell, but its whats inside that counts,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Jeff, always a hard call, I advise people on this all the time. You must consider these things:

Desktop Vs. Laptop.

Laptop: Cute, sexy, portable, takes very little space, can play DVDs on the airplane/tent/hotel, oh, and necessary if you travel for business.

Desktop: Won't drop it (I hope!), hard to steal/forget/lose. Components can be replaced or upgraded easily. If the video goes out on a laptop, it's pretty much a paperweight out of warranty, a video card can be replaced in a desktop in a matter of minutes. Can get a bigger screen with a desktop too.

Ok, my reccomedations: Since the most power you will need is for accounting software (I doubt if you play games on it, at least not unbtil the little ones are older) and internet. Make sure you at least get > 1.5ghz (Gigahertz) Intel processor (Intel mobile if it is a laptop). At least 512mb memory (Can either ask how much it is to double right then, or upgrade later. If it is < $50 - double the memory) At least 60gb (Gigabyte) harddrive (Goes for a laptop too).
As far as the equipment goes, off hand I say Sony and Dell seem to be the best. All PC manufacturers have crappy support nowadays, but these seeem to have the least problems.

If you call Dell, ask for thier refurbished dept, I have built datacenters on thier refurbished PCs without a glitch.

And Jeff, you got my contact info, if you want to ask questions, or get my opinon on a deal, just call me anytime (Uh, after 7a PST though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I might know of some deals around here to in the Sillicon (Silly-Money) Valley.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dells are good laptops, we have two at home and I would have bought another, but I wanted to find something that had a lower profile and weight, so I looked around and decided on the Gateway (which might end up biting me in the arse, we'll see), because it had a very thin profile and was a lighter than some of the others I had looked at.

Thor is right about the upgrades, etc. too. I mainly have a laptop because I use it for work and personal, so I have to transport it, plus I have wireless internet, so I can use it anywhere in the house.

If I didn't have to use it at work and wasn't using wireless. I would probably have gone with a desktop because you can get a good decked out machine cheaper than a laptop and you can do upgrades easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have purchased both a Compaq/HP and a Dell laptop in the last several years. I paid <$600 for each, new. Computers are commodities now -- they are all pretty much the same and not much separates them for the price from a technical standpoint...

Dell has an add in the USA today for a Inspiron 2200 at $650 after $250 in rebates.
-- 1.6GHZ pentium M
-- Word Perfect
-- 14.1 xga display
-- 512MB shared DDR2 SDRAM
-- 40GB hard drive
-- fixed internal CD burner/DVD player
-- Does not include serial or parallel ports.
-- Plus free Dell 720 printer
-- Free 3-5 day shipping.

I have seen the Dell laptops <$500. Just just have to watch and look. I have also seen similiar pricing from HP/Compaq.

Good luck,
Mike

G

·
I'm going chim in and agree with thorjeep.

After many years of 'building' my own computers, no more. Not worth my time.

Bottom line, unless you need mobile computing, go with a desktop. Typically they last longer at half the price.

You can get a really decent system for less than $500...depending on what monitor you get. If you have at least a 17" monitor right now, then just buy the box and upgrade the monitor later. 17" LCD's are going for less than $300 now....and a 17" LCD is as good as a 19" CRT.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
My last link in the preveous post was for desktops and smokin deals at that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dimension Desktops

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Truth is I realy don't need a Laptop, But the wife wants it, and depending on the next couple weeks I may end up getting it for her for her B day.

I have found some really good prices on decent desktops. for less than 500.00 I can get a bang up system and re use my monitor.

I will look at some of the links and see what I can find.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
About your desktop: My experience is that after a significant amount of time they computers seem to get gummed up. When one of mine gets really slow and things just don't seem to be working right, I rebuild the software. I back up all the data - in my case copy it to a folder on another computer on the network - and then format the C drive and reload the OS. It usually takes a few hours to get it back up and running, and then over the next few days I reinstall the software. After that it runs as fast and reliably as when it was new.

There's no earthly reason that a computer will actually slow down over time. What happens is that uninstall programs don't do a complete job, programs install routines that run in the background, the registry grows bigger and bigger with entries that are no longer used, and all that makes the computer run around doing unnecessary jobs that steal time from the work you want it to do.

Before spending money on a new computer you might want to clean the old one out and start over with it. That doesn't cost anyting but some time. If it doesn't help you can still buy a new one, and you'll have all your data ready to install on the new one.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yes! I agree with Jim. Erase the hard drive and start over. I'm using a Compaq PII 300 mhz with less than 200 meg of ram wirelessly at this very moment. I just have to clean it about every 6 months. I have to run anything more intensive on a much newer desktop. So this leads us to ask Jeff what kind of system is he running now. A restore and some ram might be all he needs.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the ram maxed out on my 400 mhz emachine. I aagree usualy the dump and resoftware the system will work, but about 6 months ago I had a crash that I like to never got the system running from. in the end I cannot recover any of our photo's from it, and I cannot put software on it to make the CDRW run again as it just won't take it anymore. The computer will still work on the internet but everything else is not working. If I could get those pix off I would format it and start over,, but I can't even get that far!!!

G

·
What OS?
If it's not NT then send me just the HD and I'll see if I can pull them off for you....and I promise not to circulate any pic's of naked women you might have on it.....

400 Mhz? Buy a new computer!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Buy or borrow an external hard drive or a big flash drive then you can send them through your USB port.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yeah Greg's right, Don't buy a Mac /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

·
Nothing wrong with a Mac....the OS is a hell of a lot better than anything Gill Bates came up with. Wait until you see the next ver of windows....they copied a lot of the look and feel of the Mac....3D desktop, translucent windows, etc.....

Just because software for a Mac is twice as expensive, 4 times harder to pirate, and 10 times more stable..........it doesn't mean you shouldn't spend twice as much for the hardware....

Littel tid bit of info......

95% of the computers used to access the internet are Windows based.
95% of the internet servers are Unix based..........

So, back to the original issue....
Buy a new Dell or Gateway...
Send me the HD so I can pull your stuff off
And be done with it...............there are just toooo many dirt bags out there waiting for steel bracelets...........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts