Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last friday i was over mach2_nh house playing with my carb when we where done we decided to hit up some trails next to his house after driving up and around some rocks we headed back down the trail (note the trail entrince is right next to his drive way and you can get onto the trail throw his back yard) got allmost to the road and saw 2 bags that where not there when we drove up the trail so we stoped and looked at them and notice it was cold beer so we stop and mach2_nh noticed that there where 2 kids standing down the trail by the road so we walked to them and asked them if it was theres and they kept saying no so we went back to the stuff after saying to them we where going to toss it and notice a briefcase thrown with papers all over the place so we started to pick up the papers and noticed they where army docs so we went back to the road to look for hte kids and they where gone called the cops and when they showed up we where talking to them for about 5mins and a call came across the radio saying there was a brake in down the street from his house

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Some people kids....

They should be messing around with jeeps till the wee hours of the night...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Dont forget the cops had the dog out there looking for them..
Was cool just to bad we had not seen the papers before they split.
But what can you do. This friday im going to the PD to look at mugs. they think they know who they were.

Oh ya the cops liked my Jeep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe when its done i will not get pulled over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warning.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
484 Posts
does this mean i cant leave my keys in my vehicles anymore? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i gotta lock my f-in house now?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif

been in mont vernon over twenty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gifyears and never felt the need to do either

damn those milford punks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spank.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif

·
Registered
586 Posts
yeah,better start locking doors and taking keys out of vehicles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif I had left the key in my 1978 f100 for at least 6 months,went out to start it the other day,getting it ready to put a license back on it,was making sure it still ran,and no keys in the ignition? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif and about $2 worth of change left in the ashtray was also gone,but low and behold,the idiot thieves didn't touch the $100 or so of tools I had laying in the bench seat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not to change the topic of the thread, but the other night I walked out of work at about 9:30 to find two kids (early teens) rooting through my Jeep. I calmly walked over to them (they hadn't noticed me yet) and told them "There is nothing in this Jeep worth losing your life!" Both kids about jumped out of their skin and took off running. They got nothing, but only because I do not keep anything in my Jeep worth stealing. Grrrr. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
yea, been there a few times, never had the fortune of catching them in the act though, did have a few slit windows to show for it though.

dont think i could have been as calm as you, Scott.....im pretty sure i would have found a good way to restrain them untill the police arrived....not sure how legal it is to hold someone against their will in that situation though

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Got ya beat. About two weeks ago, one of our 3-11 guys was cleaning out his patrol car after shift. in THE POLICE DEPARTMENT PARKING LOT, when he looked over to his topless TJ and saw a man digging into his center console.

After he and the sergeant quickly arrested the man, he had the nerve to get mouthy and began threatening the officer and his family. Oh yeah he also tried to kick some and was helped to the ground. Did I mention that you don't want to be "helped" to the ground by two 200+ lb police officers while handcuffed behind your back?

More charges were added and after a quick check by paramedics he went to jail without passing go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warning.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
A year ago I might have chased after them, but I dislocated my right knee this past Easter and it still isn't right. They were pretty fast, and I am getting pretty old...

·
Registered
946 Posts
We've been having the same problem around these parts. They break in and steal things like loose change and tools and "borrow" a car to drive it away. The car always shows up unmolested someplace near. My neighbor caust 3 kids but they all took off in different directions but left a coupe of bikes behind.

What would the "Legal" thing to do to hold them until the sherrif arrives? I can easily think of a few other things to do and they involve hoods over our heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
859 Posts
That's why I keep a bag of extra large zip ties under my seat...just in case. Is it a bad thing if my Jeep will go WITHOUT the key? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
we need one of the cops on the board to chime in as to whats legal in terms or restraint of someone.....i Know Jeffs one, not sure who the other coppers are?

i keep zip ties under the seat too....but i see lawsuit written alllll over that

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
First point I'd make is that you can be sued for anything. Being sued and having a judgement against you are two different things. If you live in an area full of liberals, you'd probably be in trouble. If, however, you live in a conservative area, you'd get written up in the local papers as a hero and everyone would laugh at the perp who sued you. Fortunately, I live in a very conservative area and would not hesitate to restrain someone, using whatever force was necessary excluding lethal force. Of course, 26 years in local law enforcement gives me a pretty good idea of how the local juries look at law suits, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif

·
Registered
67 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
we need one of the cops on the board to chime in as to whats legal in terms or restraint of someone

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't really comment on what's legal or not, as I'm not a police officer or lawyer... But I'd think it foolish to go and try to restrain someone who's breaking into your car, especially if you're outnumbered 3 to 1. I'm all for self-defense, and even verbally confronting them, scaring them, or getting them to leave the vehicle alone. But after they decide to leave or run away, it's my opinion that you should let them go. Mostly only for your own safey. No sense in putting yourself in danger to restrain someone who hasn't had the opportunity to take anything.

Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well i did the mug shot thing today. Was cool.
Should find out in a few weeks how things are going.
He could not tell me much.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
we need one of the cops on the board to chime in as to whats legal in terms or restraint of someone.....i Know Jeffs one, not sure who the other coppers are?

i keep zip ties under the seat too....but i see lawsuit written alllll over that

[/ QUOTE ]

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Information in below post is not, nor is it intended to be LEGAL ADVICE or COUNSEL in ANY WAY, SHAPE or FORM... rather it is merely what I have observed/experienced over the past 20-some years of military law enforcement and military justice in ALL conceivable areas of practice.

Okay, now that THAT is taken care of...

First rule: Don't take a knife to a gunfight! In other words, make sure you're better armed/armored than the perps you are approaching/detaining... else YOU may be the one gettting the short end of the stick!

Mighty hard to justify - in any state or region, no matter how conservative (but maybe Texas!) - to use deadly force to protect mere property. (If you can show you were in reasonable fear for your own life or another's, that's a different story..., but property - no matter how priceless or personally valued - is not worth the life [legally-speaking] of even the lowliest scum-sucking maggot.)

Even if you DO ultimately get away with whatever you decide to do 'em, you nonetheless face the prospect of personal, professional and financial ruin. Defending your actions is not always easy...nor cheap. If you hafta hire a defense attorney - whether for criminal prosecution or civil suit - you best hire the best you can afford (speaking from personal experience)... or you're very liable to be looking at jail and/or losing everything you own of any monetary value. (It only takes a single hell-bent-for-leather prosecutor w/ a personal agenda to really louse up your life - it is NOT difficult for any half-arse lawyer to get an indictment.)

And, do NOT think for a second that your pristine good-name / reputation is sufficient to rescue you from your predicament. You'd be surprised how fast supposed 'friends' distance themselves, and how quickly all those little (otherwise forgiven/overlooked) 'oops' over the years come back to haunt you. And, anyone you ever p'eed off over the years, are going to jump on any allegations like a pirrahna feeding frenzy. Tough to appreciate extent of it... 'til it happens to you personally - then it's too late.

And, the above really only addresses the tangibles... you also hafta consider personal, emotional impact on you and your family members. Just being accused of something is in and of itself a very traumatic event. Next... the arrest: handcuffs, mugshots and fingerprinting - sometimes 'policy' for some departments while they investigate & sort things out. Then $$$$ to post bond... to NOT be 'Bubba's' bunk-buddy/shower-mate any longer...! Of course, if our 'ratings-hungry' media friends can squeeze (or inject) any sensationalism out of the event, guess who's mugshot is plastered all over the front page of the local fishwrapper and/or airwaves? (How many foilks have you ever heard of where folks get to this point, only to have charges dropped as unfounded? Does the media - print or broadcast - ever seem to report THAT?! NO!) Finally, some allegations - despite not having any foundation themselves - somehow acquire a life of themselves... and seem to go on f-o-r-e-v-e-r. All the while you/your family is left holding the bag. (Can you imagine the he!! school kids are going recieve at the hands/mouths of their classmates?! Is that something you want for your kids?)

Anyone getting my point yet?

I'm not saying don't do it... nor am I saying I would not take some sort of action in given circumstances... But, what I AM saying is 'Think about it, and potenital consequences (collateral damage?) to all involved, BEFORE you do something unreasonable. Like many things that feel good for a season, most of them have the potential for a costly result. Look before you leap?

Whew! I have not written that much since the bar exam! Nuff of that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

Questions? Rebuttals? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad to be of service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Oh yeah... one more thing! Almost everyone has a video cam - either in their digicam or even camera phone - don't think you're necessarily going to getaway w/ something by doing 'A' (beating someone senseless w/ a HiLift) then saying 'B' "I dunno how he fell against my HiLift (mounted behind my spare tire) 10 times...! Puzzling, isn't it Officer?"

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Information in above post is not, nor is it intended to be LEGAL ADVICE or COUNSEL in ANY WAY, SHAPE or FORM... rather it is merely what I've observed/experienced over the past 20-some years of military law enforcement and military justice in ALL conceivable areas of practice.

G

·
First off...Jdogg....good job...Here in LA we call it 'spanking'....

Next...how far can you go? MarineOpLaw covered a lot of good points....

But let me ask you this? Is any of our material stuff really worth getting hurt over? More importantly, do you really want to do something to the guy that will make him or one of his buddies come back to your house? The same one your family lives in?

I know it is frustrating, and it pisses me off as well when someone messes with my jeep or house....but you have to look at the big picture.

Now...what can you do? If you catch the guy in the act, you can 'try' and detain him...but you can only use as much force as is necessary to keep him there....but once again, you have to ask yourself....is it worth it? Your best bet is to call 911, give them a good description, and let the guys in uniform take care of it. I almost shot a guy about 2 weeks ago in front of my house...but then again, he tried to come in my front door. But I didn't and I'm glad. He left real quick when I yelled at a neighbor to call 911. I don't need anther shooting on my record.

A little story....
A guy wakes up and hears someone kick in the side door of his house. He grabs his gun and heads out into the hall. Sees a guy coming at him and shoots without turning on a light or saying anything. It was a neighbor. He was drunk and broke the key off in the lock...thought it was his house (they looked alike). FYI....it is VERY rare for a bad guy to enter a house if he knows someone is home. If someone does enter your house, turn on the light...99% of the time they will leave. If they don't, then the story to the cops gets a lot easier....

And lastly, we should be like Offroadmudpumk....don't keep anything of value in the jeep...or at least, keep it locked out of view...most crooks don't bother with stuff if they don't know it is there.

Oh...and one more last thing....don't bother with wheel locks....they don't work. I lost the 'key' to my wifes Cherokee....took it to 4 wheel parts to get new wheels put on...they guy said "no problem". It took hime all of 10 seconds to get the locking nut off. They just take a slightly too small socket, smack it on and off comes the nut with the impact.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man the last to weeks must be steal week my friends little brothers dirt bike just got stolen out of there yard and they lock them up with a huge chain they just cut the lock and took his dirt bike wtf is going on with this world

·
Registered
296 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
But let me ask you this? Is any of our material stuff really worth getting hurt over? More importantly, do you really want to do something to the guy that will make him or one of his buddies come back to your house? The same one your family lives in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to knock anyone, or anyone's personal choices. But I will say that I work damned hard for what I have, and I'm not so willing to just give it up to some jackass that wants to take it. In my eyes, it's this 'turn the other cheek' way of thinking that makes the criminal element prosper. Think about this: Would try robbing anyone if you knew they were willing to fight back?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts