Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wonderin what everybody else eats when they go on extended jeep trips? What kind of foods cook up best over fire/small stove, do they taste good? I want find new foods... When I camp or hike I take ramen noodles, lipton rice packs(the cajun, rice and red beans, and roasted chicken flavors are good), various canned goods, and a little jerky. I cook on a single burner propane stove that mounts on top of the little green tank. Sometimes I use my friends mountain safety research(msr) brand hiking stove- it works off coleman fuel and can get HOT. Anybody got any good squirrel recipes?
Andy

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Manifold Burritos, Manifold Steaks, Header Beans, Manifold Potatoes, etc...

Manifold and headers refer to cooking locations! Just wrap in aluminum foil, head for the trail (remember to check on them periodically) and when you get there, your dinner is ready.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Packer Brats from Louie's Finer Meats in Cumberland WI ! Also, a stick of venison sausage in the cooler with a loaf of bread and some real Wisconsin cheddar (do NOT put Kraft singles on venison...it's against the law up here/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif). For snacks, home made "Trail Mix" (you know, like Chex mix only the real stuff). To drink, nothin' but water on the trail (it sucks trying to clean Dr. Pepper out of your carpet/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif) and a couple of ice cold Leinie's to wash down the trail dust at the end of the day.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.

G

·
you got it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
simple but nourishing- that's the ticket.
those de-hydrated backpacking meals are pretty good and light weight- just add water but i think are a little pricey. depends of course the length of your trip- number of meals. we always take grub. on a day trip some fruit, jerkey, chips, sandwiches and plenty of water. have two dogs also so they need water and minimum food. 4-6 gallons of water and 2 for radiator. always have 2 cans oysters and crackers as emergency stash!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
on over-night trips the propane stove comes along and the coffe pot(perc). we usually bbq our dinner ie some kind of meat- beef,pork or chicken. have a grill to set on rocks for bbq'ing.

steve

G

·
Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Hormel Chilli. Just open the can and drop it into the firepit. Pull out using the canopener and break out your trusty spoon. Viola, food. The best campfire cooking we have done while wheeling was a steak tip sandwich. Brought some steak tips and skewered em on a stick, roasted over fire till done. Put em on a bun with some cheese and your good to go. If your feeleing lazy, good old cold cuts work fine.

G-Man
If you don't like the way I'm living, you can just leave this long-haired country boy alone.

G

·
Ive always been a big fan of anything BBQ, but my personal favorite to eat while on the trail is either steak, or a good old fashioned cheeseburger, and a beer.
Scott

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 6" of lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT's on 15x8 AR 767's! my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com

G

·
Depends on the trip. For long, extended trips I would go with the backpacking freeze dried stuff. For just a day trip or overnight I would save my money and just take some stuff for engine cooking or sandwiches.

When choosing backpacking food, not all are equal. Alpineair & Mountain House are very good, taste and nutritionally. I have eaten some nasty stuff over the years, there is now substitute for good food. Campmor, REI, and the Sportsmans Guide(for bulk) are my favorite places to shop for food. I'll sometimes sneak up to Atlanta when REI has a sale and stock up on backpacking food to save shipping. I have enough bulk Mountain House from the Sportsmans Guide from after the Y2K fiasco. I stocked up after Jan 1 2000, and saved a bundle. I have 2 months of food now. But get ready if you go this route the prices can be high.

For money savings on day trips when keeping food fresh isn't as much of a problem, I'll just stick with something out of the frig. Those Coleman coolers that plug into the cig lighter will keep stuff resonably cool except for the high summer temps.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
When my buddy and I did our jeep trip last summer, we took one of those small grilles, it's like 18" x 9", runs on the small propane bottles. That thing was great! We would stock up on food every 3 or 4 days.

I always liked the fresh tuna steaks and shrimp on the grill. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif That, with some instant rice, flavored with some spices, maybe some potato salad... mmm.... good stuff.

Also shishkabob - chicken (w/spices), marinated in some italian dressing, kebobed on skewers, with mushrooms, onions, pepers... mmmm...

Also, take one big pot. You can create your own kind of 'gumbo stew'. Cut up buritos, some rice, spices, veggies, a few cans of various soups, etc. Cook this over a fire, as it's tough on fuel - takes a long time to cook a big stew.

I always like cooking when camping, and having something good, rather than 'burgers'. Also, look for stuff that doesn't need refrigeration: cans of soup, cans of veggies, chili, etc. We wandered around the supermarket quite a bit and came up with some good stuff.

Good luck, and good eatin'! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
I have to say the best trail food is ramen noodles, they are cheap as hell, and are easy to make. Eggs are good too if ya can keep em cold, all you gotta do is throw em in a pan.

'85 Scrambler

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang, yall are making me hungry. I think I'm gonna try cookin some hotdogs on my cummins. Actually I think it holds the heat long and even enough to bake... Hmmm... I wonder if I can bake biscuits in an ammo can? I tried summer sausage while hiking recently, its good in small amounts, but never try to eat a pound in the same day. Also I keep enough canned goods in the truck to feed 2 people about 3 days, with some water. Ya never know when you might be stuck somewheres. I might try to shishkabob and gumbo ideas, sounds good. Well thanks for the ideas, keepem coming!

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hey Elusive, I didn't know you were a fan of the ultimate snack...Hunters sausage! For those of you who haven't tried it, it's half way between sausage and jerky, and Louie has won more awards for ALL of his meat/sausage products than any other place I know. This is one of those little "Hole in the wall" places that has a cult like following from states away.

BTW, my Grandma and Uncle/Aunt/Cousin live in Cumberland. My Uncle is Lakeland town chairman and asst. Fire Chief for Cumberland. Small world!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
If I am going for a ride and want to take a little food I usually just take jerky, crackers,can-O-cheeze or something simple like that and plenty of water. BUT, I'm like Peete88yj....I like to cook(& eat) if I have to camp. I have a 3 burner coleman and between a fire and that LET THE GRUB BEGIN!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif My last overnight trip supper consisted of burgersand rib sandwitches smothered in sauteed onions with fried potatoes. (onions and potatoes are easy to keep) Then breakfast was sausage patty's, links,bacon,pancakes,eggs(egg beaters brand are easy to store),toast,and coffee. Needless to say I carry a good size cooler./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I like to camp.......but no need to rough it any more./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts